Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Sensory suggestion for teenager

amother

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 1:38 pm
DD16 has a math tutor that she really likes. They clicked and her teaching style is just right for dd. She enjoys going and is doing really well. The problem is that DD has always been hyper-sensitive to smells and the tutor has some very overpowering smells in her house. DD says it's a mixture of bleach and cooking smells, nothing gross just very very strong. She likes the tutor so much that she's been trying to ignore it but it's a huge effort and takes a toll on her concentration. She doesn't want to stop seeing this tutor but it's enough of a problem that she's considering it. Any suggestions from sensory savvy mothers?

Dev80

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 1:49 pm
How about having the tutoring take place in your home or somewhere neutral like the library?

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 2:50 pm
As they are friendly, maybe DD could say "could you open a window? I just feel the need for an open window".

Or DD could dab a drop of orange oil on her upper lip just before going in. Then that's all she would smell. One hopes.

seeker

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 4:41 pm
Can they work in a different part of the house? I can understand if the tutor only works from home, but perhaps a different room would have less smell.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)