Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Question about saving files onto memory stick/USB

joy613

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 1:52 pm
Don't know much about computers so this question might sound silly to some of you..

Ok, a while ago I saved all my files from my computer to a memory stick/USB. I wanted backup in case of whatever. Now it's months later and I want to save all the new files and stuff that I have added onto my computer since then.

how do I add them without adding all the already saved files?
I dont' want to resave all the files that are already on the usb and have doubles.. Is there a way to do this without going through file by file and figuring out if it's already on the stick? I wouldn't even know how to go about that. I have tons of folders and there are new files scattered all around the different folders.

Basically I'm asking if I can sort of sync my computer and my USB.

Thank you!

suzyq

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 2:13 pm
Usually when you try to resave the same files, you will get a pop up that will tell you that you already have a file named "XYZ" and if you want to save over it. It should give you an option to NOT do that for all the duplicate files. That's probably going to be the easiest way if you are using a flash drive as your backup.

joy613

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 3:28 pm
THanks.
Ok so I tried it and this is what came up:

This folder already contains a folder named ______
IF the file in the existing folder has the same name as the file you are moving or copying, they will be replaced. Do you still want to move or copy the folder?

Options were:
Yes, yes to all, no, cancel

So I should press yes? or no? yes to all..?
feel like I sound so dumb,,,I'm just so clueless about computers and technology.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 3:33 pm
Have you tried saving to a cloud?. It's much easier.

joy613

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 3:35 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Have you tried saving to a cloud?. It's much easier.

lol.. no clue what that is and how to do it. I mean I've heard about it but never in full detail. I'm a very low tech person.
Is that easy to do? can you give basic rundown of what it is.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 3:45 pm
Well DH does it for us. It's data storage on the internet. You use it as though it's another folder on your computer, but it's much more than that.
There is:
o'clock
icloud
Google Drive
Dropbox
And others.
It takes up no space on your computer. Breast for pictures and movies.

monseychick

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 4:11 pm
Just click yes and will just merge both folders together...

Alternately, you can just copy everything now to a brand new folder and then just delete what you did a few months ago,

To poseter who mentioned cloud, that might actually be more confusing to OP

youngishbear

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 4:16 pm
If you click yes to all, all the new files will be added and the old files on your usb replaced by the newer versions from the computer.

That means that if you have a newer version of a file, like if you added more pages to your diary, it will copy the new diary on top of the old version on your usb drive and the old version will be gone.

ETA: I agree with monseychick that cloud storage will be more complicated for you
than usb backup. In addition, cloud storage requires internet access in order to access the files.

The benefit of it, however, is that it is saved in a company's system, not on a tiny little thing like a thumb drive which can be lost or destroyed easily.

summer0808

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 8:37 pm
MY IT guy says it's not a good idea to use a USB stick for backup. Besides getting lost or damaged as in wet, they have a lifetime and they just die!

Best to have another backup like to the cloud. If the files are very important to you.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 9:00 pm
Um, what did we do before the cloud?

I have my stuff saved in multiple places, external hard drive, thumb drives, sd cards... It gets complicated when backing up, but at least I know if I lose one I haven't lost all.

I should keep it in a fireproof safe. The photos are irreplaceable!

PAMOM

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 9:27 pm
I'll tell you what I tell my students -- email yourself your files, using a mainstream free email address. That way theyvarevalways accessible. You can get free aol or gmail accounts.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 9:36 pm
That's a practical idea when people remember to do it often enough so it doesn't take too much time. You can't email too many media files at a time.

BTW, do you know if emailed photos stay the same quality as the original? I know videos are compressed.

PAMOM

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 10:00 pm
Yes, photos stay the same-/no degradation.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 10:08 pm
You don't need to email, you can just save in drafts Wink Yes, I do that!

But please make sure your mail password is SECURE!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics