Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
How to get certified in NY

amother

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 9:07 am
I have several years of experience under my belt, as well as a masters in my subject area (I worked in a related field that required an advanced degree before becoming a teacher). However, I never got certified, so my options are limited. I would like to expand my options. What do I need to do to get officially certified? Also, if I've already been teaching for a few years, will I still have to do student teaching, or will my experience count? Thanks.

working hard

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 9:33 am
I am now in middle of the process. See if the school where you got the degree will guide you through it. If not it may be worth getting an adviser. It is complicated. You need to take the general certification tests -EAS and ALST. You will need to take CSTs in your field as well as an EDTPA in your specialty. You also need a child abuse seminar, a bullying seminar, and 1 more, I do not remember offhand. You will need OT-111 from all the schools you worked in, which allows experience to stand in for student teaching.
You need to open a New York State teach account and register everything you did and submit all your information.
In addition, you will need to be fingerprinted by the DOE.
If you do not have someone to help you, contact me for a more exact step by step list.
Allow 8 months to a year for the process!

amother

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 10:13 am
Thanks. I just reached out to my alma mater, will see how that goes. I am not comfortable pm-ing. Is there any other way we can talk? Does anyone else have info they are willing to post? Thanks.

seeker

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 11:37 am
You can look around this site http://www.highered.nysed.gov/......html
not quite as helpful as a human but it should be at least somewhat informative.

working hard

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 11:48 am
You can post any questions you have here and I will try my best to answer.

luckysunshine

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 12:27 pm
You also need the DASA training.

amother

Post Sat, Dec 13 2014, 6:39 pm
Anyone know how to get a professional license if you don't teach in a classroom - but only work 1:1. Thanks!

seeker

Post Sat, Dec 13 2014, 7:40 pm
1:1 teaching still counts towards your teaching experience, I was told (by the folks who pick up the phone if you're zoche to still be on the line after holding for a couple of hours)

amother

Post Sat, Dec 13 2014, 8:04 pm
Lol seeker. Thanks! Are you trying to get ur professional license too?
Also do you have your initial license now?

seeker

Post Sat, Dec 13 2014, 8:16 pm
I have initial and extended it because I didn't get my act together in time to apply for the professional. I should really do that now because technically I have probably qualified for a while already. But I did the traditional certification pathway, went for education from the start. With a degree in something else there are different rules.

amother

Post Sat, Dec 13 2014, 8:19 pm
I also extended it!!! Mine expires in a year and a half. We must take care of it. It looks soooo complicated though Sad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics