Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How to teach piano playing to kids

mammala120

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 5:12 pm
how can I start my kids on piano playing.......

do I hire a private instructor.......can u recommend someone please.

do I buy self teaching CD

help me start this off right please.

my kids age 5-8 and they want to play it,,,,,we got them yamaha already

thanks

gp2.0

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 5:22 pm
Just let them have fun with it and teach themselves to pluck out their faves by ear first. Then you can get some simple scale books and fun song books so they learn to read music.

r_ch

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 5:28 pm
If you ask me, I'd say hire a teacher.

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 5:30 pm
Where do you live?

MimiMommy

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 5:30 pm
Yeah, hire a teacher. Once they learn enough to read notes maybe you can stop the lessons but it's important for someone to teach them. This way you can also see if they're really interested before buying all the accessories.
I'd check local ads or maybe ask at a music store.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 5:32 pm
A teacher takes all the fun out of it. IME. Then kids get bored of it. Piano playing should be fun, not boring exercises and homework and structured lessons.

rachel91

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 5:39 pm
I've always had private teachers since I was 5, by us it wasn't even a question, I had to learn how to play an instrument, eventough I didn't want at the age of 5. When I was a child I hated to practice, but now I'm so grateful for it, I can play any classical piece with a bit of exercise and I can accompany myself, whatever.
I even composed something Smile I think its worth taking a teacher, but if your kids are really talented they will maybe be able to play by ear or learn it by themselves, it also depends on their age.

r_ch

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 5:50 pm
rachel91 wrote:
I've always had private teachers since I was 5, by us it wasn't even a question, I had to learn how to play an instrument, eventough I didn't want at the age of 5. When I was a child I hated to practice, but now I'm so grateful for it, I can play any classical piece with a bit of exercise and I can accompany myself, whatever.
I even composed something Smile I think its worth taking a teacher, but if your kids are really talented they will maybe be able to play by ear or learn it by themselves, it also depends on their age.

This is a like with a name on it:) I could have written it.

rachel91

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 6:02 pm
r_ch wrote:
rachel91 wrote:

This is a like with a name on it:) I could have written it.

wow! really? I thought that only russian parents force their kids to play an instrument Very Happy

imasinger

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 6:28 pm
I am a music teacher. I think lessons are the way to go, since a cd can't correct poor hand positioning or other techniqe issues.

However, I generally advise parents that unless their kids have exceptional zitsfleish, they should let them play around on a keyboard and just have fun with it until after they have gotten used to doing school homework every night.

Otherwise, many just stop before they are able to do the fun stuff. You can PM me for some game and fun ideas for little ones.

tamid

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 2:34 am
imasinger wrote:
I am a music teacher. I think lessons are the way to go, since a cd can't correct poor hand positioning or other techniqe issues.

However, I generally advise parents that unless their kids have exceptional zitsfleish, they should let them play around on a keyboard and just have fun with it until after they have gotten used to doing school homework every night.

Otherwise, many just stop before they are able to do the fun stuff. You can PM me for some game and fun ideas for little ones.

imasinger from what age do you recommend they start learning?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 7:13 am
They won't learn just hitting on the keys, but may "learn" some bad habits.

imasinger

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 8:22 am
tamid wrote:
imasinger from what age do you recommend they start learning?

It depends on the kid, the parents, and the teacher. My personal experience is that kids seem to do better long term when they start in 2nd or 3rd grade, because they are already used to the discipline of daily homework, and are less inclined to squawk after the first thrill is gone at having to do both.

While there are MANY exceptions, I see a higher percentage of kids continuing for more than 2-3 years if they wait to start formal lessons then.

Of course, if there is a combination of discipline in the kid and motivation to help and encourage in the parent, younger may be fine.

And by the way, those are important qualifications for success at any age. Very Happy

SYA

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 10:08 am
Got a keyboard recently and one of my kids has really taken to it. Playing by ear. Hears a tune being sung. Learns it very fast and then tries to play on the keyboard. It takes him a few tries to figure it out on his own. He really wants lessons to learn more. He taught himself how to use both hands. Am afraid lessons will take away the fun and desire. Told him nothing to discuss till after January.
Would it be worth it for just five lessons?

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 10:48 am
Music lessons. Private lessons are the way to go because the teacher will use the appropriate standards and methods and also be able to understand and work with your child's ability and progression. I have a cousin who chose drums and flute in school, but started playing the piano when his father passed away. He played beautifully, and could play anything back by ear, but when we started giving him lessons he had to start back at point A because it's important to leearn the basics in succession too (and his piano teacher was in shock at what this kid learned on his own in less than a year. I am shocked too and I started with piano lessons at 3)

amother

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 11:02 am
Imasinger, what would you say about piano for a child with OT issues? My son is 3, so too young to really do formal lessons, but he loves music and we want to give him lessons down the line. He has some motor delays and gets a lot of OT, so I wonder how it will work.

Reesa

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 11:09 am
I have a piano but my kids are so untalented Sad
Can lessons help them or if they can't sing they can't play?!
They hate when I play! I am wishing music on them but it doesn't look like it's in their cards!
Any hope??

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 11:11 am
Reesa wrote:
I have a piano but my kids are so untalented Sad
Can lessons help them or if they can't sing they can't play?!
They hate when I play! I am wishing music on them but it doesn't look like it's in their cards!
Any hope??

Every student in my school was required to learn two instruments. Everyone played better than "just getting by" because everyone was instructed by qualified teachers and expected to perform. Even if you are not a prodigy, lessons can definitely teach you how to play. The thing is that when lessons come from a school as a requirement it is very different than, "because mommy wants me to play...."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics