Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Resigned from my job- insurance help please!

amother

Post Sat, Dec 13 2014, 10:37 pm
I handed in my resignation letter last week and today (just 4 days later!) received notice that my health insurance which I was covered from my workplace will cancel at the end of this year!
That's in 2 weeks!
I have a couples plan covering myself and Dh.

I have appts lined up throughout the next few months.

What are my options, please help me ?

mha3484

Post Sat, Dec 13 2014, 10:38 pm
Do you have the option to pay for cobra?

amother

Post Sat, Dec 13 2014, 10:43 pm
There's an attached Letter stating that we can do that.
But don't we have to pay full price? How does cobra work?
Sad

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Dec 13 2014, 10:50 pm
Cobra tends to be expensive. Why don't you call an agent local to your area who can give you the most accurate information and help you find an appropriate plan?

amother

Post Sat, Dec 13 2014, 10:52 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Cobra tends to be expensive. Why don't you call an agent local to your area who can give you the most accurate information and help you find an appropriate plan?

I'm downright terrified to hear how expensive a plan will be...
But I guess I'll have to do that.

treetop12

Post Sat, Dec 13 2014, 11:03 pm
An employer can charge up to 102% of the actual premium (they can keep the 2% as an admin fee). COBRA is typically used for a few months until one has an alternative. There are many options out there especially if you are both young.

Fabulous

Post Sat, Dec 13 2014, 11:04 pm
you also have two more days to file for an obamacare insurance plan in the meanwhile. Especially if you are unemployed, you may get a cheaper plan.

Leahh

Post Sat, Dec 13 2014, 11:09 pm
Fabulous wrote:
you also have two more days to file for an obamacare insurance plan in the meanwhile. Especially if you are unemployed, you may get a cheaper plan.

she has more than 2 days to file for obamacare. She doesn't need to file through open enrollment. Once she gets a termination letter from her other insurance she can use that to apply stating loss of coverage as the reason. It can be done at any time of year.

ROFL

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 3:15 am
Once you give notice, your insurance ends on the day you leave your job. what did you think you were going to do for insurance once you left your job
Cobra is expensive. See what Obama care can do for you.

BeHappy!

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 9:09 am
Leahh wrote:
she has more than 2 days to file for obamacare. She doesn't need to file through open enrollment. Once she gets a termination letter from her other insurance she can use that to apply stating loss of coverage as the reason. It can be done at any time of year.

You have until the 15th of December to apply through the marketplace (on the exchange) for january coverage and get a subsidiary if eligible. You can apply until the last day of the month for an individual plan throughout open enrollment. You have up to 60 days to apply for insurance from your term date on the letter- not whenever you want since you have the letter!

supty

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 9:39 am
Apply for Obamacare. The plans aren't great, but it's something. As far as I know, losing insurance from a job change is a qualifying event and you can apply at any time. It goes into effect the first of the next month after you're approved.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 9:44 am
Or apply anywhere. I paid $728/month for a great plan for myself only through my cobra coverage (18 months after leaving my job) and now pay $387/month for just me with a much smaller network and $1000 deductible and $2500 max out of pocket which isn't too bad considering...It's an NJ plan. Where do you live? Men tend to be cheaper because they are not expected to have babies and whatnot, unless they have comorbidities. If you're not working though you may be best off going through the marketplace and getting a subsidy if you can.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 12:21 pm
Didn't you realize that leaving your job would cause ramifications with your insurance? What did you expect to happen?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 3:10 pm
Op here.
It was a sudden, but without a choice decision to leave, so I obviously have no plan.
I also thought that I'll get an extra few weeks. I didn't think my insurance will get cut off this month!

I will look into Obama care as I know zero about it.
How does income play a role? DH brings income making us I eligible for Medicaid.

nylon

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 4:02 pm
amother wrote:
Or apply anywhere. I paid $728/month for a great plan for myself only through my cobra coverage (18 months after leaving my job) and now pay $387/month for just me with a much smaller network and $1000 deductible and $2500 max out of pocket which isn't too bad considering...It's an NJ plan. Where do you live? Men tend to be cheaper because they are not expected to have babies and whatnot, unless they have comorbidities. If you're not working though you may be best off going through the marketplace and getting a subsidy if you can.

ACA bans gender discrimination in individual insurance. Now price is set only by age band, location, and whether or not you smoke.

ROFL

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 4:40 pm
Obama care or cobra is the way to go. unfortunately when you loose your job your benifits stop

Also maybe you can contact COJO and see if they can help you with insurance issues.

gila-rina

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 8:56 pm
obama enrollment for january was just extended till the 20th
medicaid you can apply for at anytime
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics