Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Los Angeles family vacation

chayafly

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 9:21 pm
Looking for ideas for where to stay w family of four Los as well as day trips to see natural beauty (not interested in Hollywood and theme parked-out!!) Tia!!!

Kumphort

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 9:37 pm
A nice place to stay is Marriott residence inn on Pico blvd. it's located right in the heart of things minyanim restaurants down the block walking distance
There is a supermakret across the street.
The hotel has a two bedroom suite with a pullout couch so you have four sleeping apots it also has a full sized kitchenette if you need to eat therre

I don't really have any good nature trips. You can check out the zoo there which is really nice. The beaches etc. I am sure there is more to explore

doctorima

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 9:48 pm
Day trips - you can go up to Santa Monica, which is gorgeous, and stop for lunch or dinner in Oxnard at the best kosher restaurant in the US - Tierra del Sur. You can go down to San Diego along the coast. There are also great day hikes in the valley north of LA. You can rent bikes and ride from Malibu to Santa Monica by the beach.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 9:53 pm
LA amother here who doesn't do Hollywood or theme parks often.
There is the zoo. But depending on if you are willing to do a night or two in San Diego, go to the zoo there. They actually have two and having been to many may zoos- these are the absolute best! And the Ralph's (mega chain grocery store...Kroger family) in La Jolla (pronounced La Hoya) has kosher takeout.
And we have lots of beaches. Some quieter than others. Some you can rent bikes (and these cool sit down bikes where it's easier to keep your knees covered). Some you can rent kayaks in. But if you are coming now, it's quite cold in the water. But if you are planning for the spring- gorgeous!! (And if summer: big bear Mountain has amazing places and things to do. Kayak in the lake. Hike up the ski trails, take a chair lift up and picnic at the top, or bike ride!)

But for now: horseback riding in the Hollywood hills (near the sign), lots of hikes (but bring a sweatshirt and water).
You have tons of water activities if it isnt raining. Boating, windsurfing...(haven't done them but see people do it).
La Brea Tar pits
Lots of museums. Lots.
What are you interested in exactly and when abouts will you be here?

Miri7

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 10:13 pm
The Getty museum is perched on the hills overlooking la , has gorgeous gardens (bring sandwiches up from pick kosher deli and have a picnic). The getty's Santa Monica location has reopened but I haven't been. My inlaws say it's great.

Griffith park is a nice big park. Walking and hiking trails. Also some fun features for younger kids (train, etc)

The beach is nice - pack a lunch and drive north of town to beaches in or around Malibu. Or you can rent bikes and bike up and down the coast in Santa Monica.

chayafly

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 12:07 am
Oh! Didn't realize I got replies... And such good ones too! Thank you all and looking forward to our trip in a few days. We are renting a three br apt on Miracle Mile for extra space and laundry (!!). Definitely plan on doing many of the above ideas and will post here afterwards. If you have specific names of bike rental places that would be great. Thanks again!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics