Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How to measure yamuka size?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 5:49 am
Amother bc I posted on fb.

I live oot and the judaic store here doesnt carry little boys yamulkas. Ds is having his upsherin soon and I want to order them online. Is there a way to measure his head for the size?

Whats an average size for a 3 yo? His head is "average" whatever that means!

2gether

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 6:47 am
amother wrote:

Whats an average size for a 3 yo? His head is "average" whatever that means!

I once bought a yarmulka for an upsherin present, for an average kid "-with the help of the sales man and it was two sizes too small ! Sad

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 6:54 am
The problem is, all kids have different head sizes AND head shapes so kip pas sit differently. It also depends how the kippah is made, how it sits. And finally, the worst is the judaica people don't size them correctly. I went to buy my 3yo kippas and the 4 was much smaller than the 3 and the judaica guy said that there is no rhyme or reason to the sizing which is why they let you take them home (after you buy them of course) and return them within a couple of days if they don't fit. Because they are not at all consistent.

bnm

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 8:15 am
most kids start out as size 3 but get a 4 for the pre upsheren pix. they outgrow the 3's quickly or so I'm told. We needed a 4 to start out with, he always had a larger head.

shmaichul

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 11:03 am
My son turned 3 about 6 weeks ago. He's wearing a size 3 yarmulka. But they don't all fit the same. When I took him to the store we tried on a few of the same to find the one that fit best... Good luck!

granolamom

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 7:01 pm
kippa shopping is one of my least favorite things. two yarmulkas, same brand and size, can fit totally differently. its insane. the only way I buy them now is with my boys present (which I understand you cant do). I guess next best thing is to order from a site with a good return policy.

mazal tov on the upsherin!

Dev80

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 11:14 pm
Interesting also b/c in Israel there's a size 2 (recommended size for Upsherin boy, my son wears it and he has a largeish head but the 3 also fits) and when I was looking at the sites in America and they only started at size 3 with the same brand (keter) that you can get in Israel.

Maybe contact the place you were hoping to order from and ask what to do? Maybe they will have tips for measuring the head, or maybe you can compare it to a hat he wears (ex childrens place size 2T) and they can help give advice.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics