Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Dc with high functioning ASD. which cpsc preschool brooklyn
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 2:04 pm
Can you give me more info on Dr. Cargan? Have you personally seen him? does he take insurance? Is there a backlog to get an appt? How does he test my child?
thanx.

sbs

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 8:52 pm
there is no cpse school that can legally teach any Jewish stuff,

any child that is in a private Jewish special ed school, the parents are taking a different route regarding payment,

they are usually laying out the money for the tuition and hiring a lawyer to sue the BOE for tuition reimbursement because the placement they were given in public school wasn't appropriate,

you can pm me if you'd like more specific and detailed info on that

amother

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 9:13 pm
sbs wrote:
there is no cpse school that can legally teach any Jewish stuff,

any child that is in a private Jewish special ed school, the parents are taking a different route regarding payment,

they are usually laying out the money for the tuition and hiring a lawyer to sue the BOE for tuition reimbursement because the placement they were given in public school wasn't appropriate,

you can pm me if you'd like more specific and detailed info on that

correct, however this does not apply to these schools on a cpse level (3-5). the issue starts on a cse level when they transition out of cpse and are recommended public school and want a private (jewish) special ed school such a yaldeinu or reach for the stars or gesher yehuda. NOT an issue with these cpse shools that op mentioned

amother

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 9:24 pm
Op here. I dont think she will need strict ABA in September. The areas where she needs the most help, and is doing the least well is, social interactions, and spacial awareness (all sensory issues).
I like the idea of her being with regular kids. But she needs an adult looking out specifically for her, guiding her etc when needed.
Like if I can put her in a early headstart program, of a small class, with a full time seit, I would. But b.o.e wouldnt give so many hours of seit, they will direct me to a special ed preschool.

What are the jewish special ed prescools? How do they measure to the board of ed ones?

What is the pros and cons of ais laasos?

amother

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 9:58 am
Dr. Cargan does not take insurance. there is usually a wait for an appointment, but you can see if they have cancelations. I'm not sure how he does initial testing as I've only seen him on follow up appointments with my sister. what I do know is that he's a real mentch & absolutely most amazing doctor I've ever met!!!

if you want more info on Eis Lassos- you can ask me questions and will answer iyH

amother

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 9:41 pm
I send my child to Strivright, and I am thrilled. However, I don't think they cater for kids with ASD. Its geared to hearing impaired, auditory processing delays and those with speech issues. They are not into taking kids with behavior problems.

zigi

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 11:35 pm
I am really happy with otsar. my son gained a lot through floortime and aba. he doesn't learn parsha but we did get a sukkah project and a menorah. he also made a pumpkin for fall.

bnm

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 12:37 am
I took my kid to Dr. Huberman. He and is staff are very nice. We basically went to rule out ASD at that point. They spent an hour interviewing me/observing him then we came back another day and they ran the ADOS, a standardized test. His social worker is yiddish speaking so she did the actual testing but Dr. Huberman and a few students observed. I remember having to wait a long time for an appointment, he is somewhere in Brooklyn, was just an $11 car service from my house in BP.

I suggest you check out Ais Lassos, my friends who send there are happy. The school seemed very warm and heimish yet professional. They also serve lunch Wink

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 7:01 am
Ds went to strive rite. It has Jewish and non-Jewish children, and they don't teach anything Jewish at all. It is an amazing speech based program, with their specialty in hearing loss. Not as much into PDD.

Then he went to Otsar. I totally recommend it. Their lowest functioning class had ABA and floortime daily. The other classes do not. Their teachers and therapists are really great. They serve lunch. They don't daven or make Brachos, but they do teach about Yom Tov, as they do about Thanksgiving and Columbus Day. They learn that "some people light a Menora on Chanuka"... Although it could be the higher functioning classes teach more. I don't remember. Ds was in the lowest and highest classes. I saw non-Jewish kids in the lowest functioning class, but ds's class of 12 was all Jewish, IIRC.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics