Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Housewarming present for good friend with expensive taste?

redroses

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 12:15 pm
I don't want to just get a gift card. I'm looking to spend $75-100. She has expensive and particular taste. Was thinking a modern Birchas Habayis. I know someone else is getting a mezuzah cover so that's out. Any other ideas along those lines?

oliveoil

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 12:18 pm
Honestly, a gift card is a much better present. No one likes being given things they feel like they have to display, especially when they may not like it.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 12:20 pm
You can send elaborate fresh flowers (FTR I do not enjoy fresh flowers or arrangements).
You can also just get useful things like wine openers, etc. in a variety of prices. Check out a place like Sharper Image or Crate and Barrel. A mezuza cover? That seems inappropriate for a gift as it's way too personal. I feel the same way about a birkat habayit...

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 12:57 pm
expensive taste is always hard to deal with alongside those who have everything ...

how about a door knocker with their name engraved [since the mezuza cover is taken]

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 1:06 pm
greenfire wrote:
expensive taste is always hard to deal with alongside those who have everything ...

how about a door knocker with their name engraved [since the mezuza cover is taken]

Too personal! That's like purchasing a wallet for someone!

zohar

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 1:13 pm
A nice cookie jar with homemade cookies. If she likes, she can display it. And if it is not her taste or she just doesn't like things cluttering her counters, she can take use it when needed and store away when not in use. No pressure on her part and no hurt feelings on yours. And homemade cookies are so personal.

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 1:16 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:

I wouldn't mind a wallet ... so long as there's money inside Wink

that's why it's hard to find the right gift - I'm guessing

how about a nice bottle of glenlevit Cheers

Barbara

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 1:17 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:

I'd purchase a wallet before a doorknocker.

I'd go with a bread-wine-salt theme -- a nice bottle of wine or champagne to toast the new home, a nice crusty bread, a spread (or some fine olive oil) to go with it, and a gourmet salt (pink Peruvian salt?).

sky

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 1:39 pm
What about individual hand towels in a basket. (Like to use after washing).
Or monogrammed hand towels.

questioner

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 2:05 pm
greenfire wrote:

Similar idea - a pretty Mishpachas ____ sign for the door? That only works if you know their taste though because it can't be returned.

sky

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 2:16 pm
a subscription to something for a year?

MamaBear

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 3:29 pm
A pretty vase with an elaborate bouquet. Fancy cheese platter on elegant serving tray with a bottle of good wine.

None of these things are too personalized...go with somewhat "neutral" items. Things like a mezuzah cover are on display all the time so she has to really like it.

imaima

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 9:04 am
Scrabble123 wrote:

Wouldn't be too personal for me. neither would be mezuza cover or birkat habayit.

mfb

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 9:10 am
When I moved into my new home I got a nice plant. (but I have to admit I don't have expensive taste at all so I don't know if that goes over for her)

imasinger

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 9:19 am
What about a top of the line corkscrew and bottle stoppers? Always useful, and the best is significantly better than the regular ones. Something like this:

http://www.google.com/shopping.....P8HAQ
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics