Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
DH hates heathy cooking
Previous  1  2

abound

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 5:35 am
Please share your recipes!!!!!!!

imasinger

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 6:56 am
This is at least 50% about healthier communication. Your DH held in his frustration until he exploded and was ready to say, "no more of these things, ever." It would have been a different conversation if he let you know each food individually, after the third try, that he just didn't like it.

I don't think it matters if the rest of the world says your mac and cheese and squash is fantastic. He is the other adult living in your home, and his taste buds matter.

Once he feels like you respect his desires, you probably will be able to swing some compromising. I like the every-other-night idea.

But for now, there is a more significant health problem than your kitchen table - it's the power and balance status that each of you contribute to your marrriage.

In the meantime, can you ask him what healthy foods he does like, and work out some balance to your table with that?

animeme

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 7:03 am
Any chance that cooking this way takes extra money or extra time/energy on your part? Because he doesn't share the value of it, he might resent that.

I agree on the whole wheat thing. First, you can switch to white whole wheat for items where the taste will be more noticeable, like pizza crust. You can also sometimes make a mix of part whole wheat part unbleached regular.

I have done the double cooking thing. It stinks. I'm with you.

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 7:55 am
I think you should make him some of the food he likes some days and the food you like other days. You both have food preferences and both deserve to eat the food you like. Making a double batch so it can be eaten twice is a great idea.

spinkles

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 9:10 am
I'm overall a very healthy cook, but if I'm going to have mashed potatoes, I want the real thing--not a half cauliflower thing that looks okay but doesn't have the same taste and texture. Ditto on the mac and cheese, etc. I'm totally with your dh on this!

Stop trying to make over unhealthy foods. Instead, make lots of dishes that are inherently healthy--soups, salads, etc.--and serve them along with the unhealthy foods your dh loves. Soup is your first course, so he fills up on that--let's say a great minestrone packed with veggies and beans. Then comes let's say shnitzel, mashed potatoes, and salad--but small serving sizes of shnitzel and potatoes, and lots and lots of salad.

mille

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 10:29 am
I agree with trying to find a middle ground here.

One thing I thought of is, why not lean ground turkey instead of half beef half mushroom? Mushrooms in meatballs might be a little "too weird", especially if his brain is EXPECTING regular meat meatballs. At least ground turkey will have that meaty texture. Ground turkey is also cheaper than ground beef in my experience!

And all whole wheat can be very dense and heavy. Why not half and half? You can get unbleached white flour. Or white whole wheat. I personally love whole wheat bread when it's cut with white flour, but an all whole wheat loaf is just dense and has a terrible texture to me.

And yes, I get that healthy eating is a lifestyle, but do you never have 'cheat days'? Like you never ever make something that you used to eat, with all the fat and everything, once in a while? Would he maybe be happier if you made one "unhealthy" dish for shabbos, or once a month you have REAL mac and cheese? You can still make it healthy, you can serve steamed broccoli with the mac and cheese (personally I'd chop it up and add it in, but I dunno how he feels about veggies!), or you can take the fried schnitzel but cut it into strips and serve it on top of a salad.

I DEFINITELY don't think you should cook two meals each night (and I am laughing hysterically at the notion that cooking is your "duty" as a wife, LOL), but this might be a way to indulge him sometimes while not letting the eating get out of control. You basically made him go from all to nothing, and he misses some of the other stuff. Even my most healthy eating friends still get a bag of gummies every now and then or a donut or something really "unhealthy". Like everything, as long as it's in moderation... And you control the moderation here. A few "unhealthy" meals throughout the month won't spoil your overall eating habits.

Simple1

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 10:41 am
I agree with Chana f.

I prefer not to hide the vegetables. Like instead of making mac and cheese with squash in it, I'd prefer to do regular mac and cheese served with a side of roasted, spiced zuchinni. Vegetables can be delicious and should be proudly served as it's own dish. The cauliflour can be delicous with lemon, oil and salt. Broccoli is yummy with melted cheeese.

Simple1

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 10:45 am
2gether wrote:

your his wife he doesn't have who else to cook for him, what's it his fault that you got into being healthy, cooking for him is your job and priority as a wife ,and it doesn't matter if everyone else likes your cooking.
you have to cook double or only how he likes,

This really depends on the particular couple's dynamics. If she's SAHM, OK maybe, but if she works too, I think the husband can take some responsibility for the meals, If he can't cook, maybe he can pitch in with the shopping (if he doesn't already.)

OP, this must be hard for you. I've tried the WW pasta, and dh doesn't like it, so I do get that it's frustrating. I hope you can work out a solution that satisfies both of you.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking