Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Do you light IN your silver menorah?
Previous  1  2

Simple1

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 10:49 am
And we don't even have a silver menorah. Maybe it's silver plated.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 12:15 pm
seeker wrote:
Meanwhile for the person who raised the concern that you wouldn't be able to see the lights as they went farther down in the silver cups, you would use the wick holders that keep the wick at the top. There are a couple of basic types; I use the ones that go across the top of the cup. I use glass cups but prefer this type of wick holder because it looks nice, keeping all the flames at the same height, and it averts the problem of burn marks on the glasses because the flames are above the cups rather than in them.

shanie5 wrote:
I make my own wicks, and they stay at the top of the menorah so the flame is always seen.

where do you buy these kinds of wicks? link please? or how do you make them?

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 12:48 pm
amother wrote:
where do you buy these kinds of wicks? link please? or how do you make them?

I just take cotton, usually a new cotton mop head, pull off a strand and roll it tight to make a wick. Someone in my husbands' kollel leaves long cotton strands out for the taking chanuka time. My kids like to use bobby pins to hold the wick in place on top of the menorah.

myself

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 1:38 pm
amother wrote:
I just take cotton, usually a new cotton mop head, pull off a strand and roll it tight to make a wick. Someone in my husbands' kollel leaves long cotton strands out for the taking chanuka time. My kids like to use bobby pins to hold the wick in place on top of the menorah.

Very creative Smile

acemom

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 2:24 pm
For those of you who light oil in the silver menorah, how bad is the cleaning after all? DH is so not the type to burden me with his chumras but I will be doing the cleaning regardless.

According to some posters, it seems like a pain. Others didn't seem to make a big deal about it. What is the truth here? I don't have too much extra time to waste on cleaning.

myself

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 4:26 pm
I don't see it as such a big deal at all! No need to clean it until Chanuka is over as the inside can't even be seen.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics