Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
When making crock pot applesauce, do you add water?

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 12:58 pm
I was going to try and make applesauce in the crockpot. Do I need to add water, and if so, how much water for about 12 apples?

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 1:12 pm
never made applesauce in a crockpot ... however, regular applesauce does NOT need water ... the apples are plentiful of their own juices

Bruria

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 1:24 pm
I never made in crock pot, but I have a really good applesauce recipe and it takes so little time!
Here is the link to it:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/s.....auce/

In this recipe, for 4 apples you use 3/4 cup of water , 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon.
In a saucepan, combine apples, water, sugar, and cinnamon. Cover, and cook over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes, or until apples are soft. Allow to cool, then mash with a fork or potato masher.

It comes out so good!

Twinster

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 1:30 pm
Not sure about a crockpot, but my mother always makes applesauce "slow-cooked" in the pot. No water, no added sugar. You'll be surprised how sweet the apples are naturally.

mille

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 1:57 pm
I use a little bit of water so they don't burn initially, but very little. Less than a cup for ~8 apples. I do make it in the crockpot.

I don't add sugar but do add nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, and vanilla! It's delicious!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 5:10 pm
amother wrote:
I was going to try and make applesauce in the crockpot. Do I need to add water, and if so, how much water for about 12 apples?
Yes. Not that much water. Maybe less than halfway up the apples.

bigsis144

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 6:26 pm
I make applesauce in the crockpot all the time and I don't need use any extra water. They make plenty of their own liquid in my experience.

I spray the insert (mine is cylindrical 3-quart pot) with PAM, drop in about 10-12 apples (peeled and cut into 8ths or so). I like to use a mixture of Granny Smith (stays firmer for nice chunks) and Golden Delicious (mellow, sweet and practically melt into smooth sauce), plus whatever apples are cheap and look good.

Sprinkle the top with cinnamon and that's IT!

Cook on high for 3-4 hours or so, and on low for up to 8?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen