Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
No-fry potato latkas

greeneyes

Post Fri, Dec 26 2008, 10:41 am
I made these latkas last night, & they were really, really good. Obviously, they weren't exactly the same as the fried version, but they were still delicious, & I actually liked the fact that they weren't all greasy.

4 tsp. canola oil, divided
4-5 medium Idaho potatoes (2 lbs)
1 medium onion
1 clove garlic, if desired
1 T. fresh dill (or 1 tsp. dried dill)
1 egg & 2 egg whites (or 2 eggs), lightly beaten
1/4 c. flour (white or whole wheat)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Place oven racks on the lowest & middle positions in your oven. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with aluminum foil. Spray each baking sheet lightly with non-stick spray, then brush each baking shet with 1 tsp. oil. (You may find that you need extra baking sheets.)

Peel potatoes & grate them. (The food processor does this quickly.) Transfer them to another bowl. Use the processor to finely mince onion, garlic, & dill. (Since I did 1/2 the recipe, I just grated the potatoes together with the onion, garlic, & dill & saved myself from washing that extra bowl. I think next time I would drain the potato-onion mixture at this point, because there was a lot of liquid later on.) Add potatoes, egg, egg whites & remaiing 2 tsp. of oil to the processor. Mix using quick on/off turns. Add remaining ingredients and mix briefly. If overporcessed, potatoes will be too fine.

Drop mixture by rounded spoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets. Flatten slightly with the back of the spoon to form latkas. Bake uncovered at 450 for 10 minutes, or until bottoms anre nicely browned & crispy. Turn latkas over. Transfer pan from the upper rack to the lower rack and vice versa. Bake about 8-10 minutes longer, or until brown. Best when served immediately.

Yummy!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 20 2011, 5:28 pm
Thank you so much greeneyes! These are (were? there's hardly any left for dh!) delicious!

I even ran out of onion, and just use the 1 garlic clove. Oh, and I forget to use baking powder.

Yum straight out of the oven.

(I did about 12 minutes on the first side, 8 minutes on the next. And used more salt.)

dimples

Post Tue, Dec 20 2011, 5:34 pm
just made these, they are really good! I also forgot about the baking powder, and baked them a drop longer on each side...thanks so much for the recipe!

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Nov 27 2013, 7:09 pm
bump.
Are these supposed to be brown or white?

notme

Post Sat, Nov 30 2013, 10:09 pm
Looks really good, thanks. Would it work with sweet potatoes you think?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 5:09 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
bump.
Are these supposed to be brown or white?
In between.

Frum

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 10:35 am
For non fry latkes I use my regular potato kigel recipe and only add a bit of potato starch. It's too simple and always comes out good. Shhhhh,don't tell anyone!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus