Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Urgent section 8 help

smilingmom

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 2:09 pm
My friend who lives with her disabled brother is getting evicted from her apartment in Brooklyn.
She is looking to get section 8 but keeps being told that there is no section 8.
Is there any help available for them?
Tia

smilingmom

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 4:46 pm
Bump

gande

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 6:06 pm
There is no regular section 8 but there is a program out there for disabled adults living alone. Call an agency such as ohel or hamaspik.

greenfire

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 7:01 pm
that sounds rough -

if all else fails is there a group home that the brother would be eligible for through some government aid

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 7:06 pm
Does the brother receive SSI
If so look into Kingsbay adult care on cropsey ave

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 7:07 pm
I thought that there was emergency housing assistance for individuals who were evicted? Please contact those who would know about it. (sorry don't have more info).

smilingmom

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 7:17 am
Hamaspik , ohel and Kingsbay did not pan out because they want to live together as they always did.
Are there any other suggestions?
Their next step is a homeless shelter. she works all day at a minimum wage job while her brother stays home by himself all day, which is fine, but if they are at a shelter she is afraid for him to stay at the shelter all say with the other homeless.

bnm

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 8:51 am
maybe she can find an adult day care type of place for him so he is in a safe place during her work hours.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 6:56 pm
Section 8 is now a housing voucher program. It is means tested that means that you have to be below a certain income level. From what I have read NYC is no longer accepting applications. Perhaps their wait list has become so long it can no longer be managed. I live in the west and just finished signing my housing contract yesterday. I was on a waiting list for 3 years.

Human Resources Administration in NYC can help you with first months rent and a deposit. I do not know if they would have concerns about the eviction. You should also check with the Association of [crazy] Citizens in NYC if the brother is mentally disabled.This organization is very very active in my local area providing, jobs housing and resources to mentally disabled adults.

Wishing you help and hope in your future.

amother

Post Sat, Dec 20 2014, 4:13 pm
I'm a landlord who deals with section 8 in the midwest, so my knowledge is from the other angle, but I can add a few things. Although the legislation is nationwide, it is administered locally by the various authorities. Each one is different and has its own pluses and minuses. I don't know anything particular about NY.

However, every housing authority I've dealt with is SLOW. It takes months even years to get on to the waitlist, and the wait itself could be a year or more. Basically the waitlist only opens once in a blue moon, and even then its just a waitlist, not a voucher. The more desirable the location the longer the list. The best way to get onto a waitlist is to move to a less desirable location, get onto a voucher, and then after about a year you can "port" and take your same voucher back to your desired location. Obviously this is not a simple solution, and for many people (especially frum ones or with other special needs) its just not possible. But many people do actually do it.

If they need short term solutions, help for a month or two, etc, then for sure Section 8 is not the way to go. The organizations I'm familiar with are (anyway in the midwest) mostly church run. I'm sure there are other options in NY for our community!

wise mom

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 11:50 pm
Welfare has a program called gigits. (something like that)
if you live in a apartment and you cant pay rent for 3 months your landlord should give you an eviction letter.
with that you have to go down to welfare (you have to be on welfare) to show them the letter.
there is some court proceeding and it takes time with all the paperwork it entails but if you can show that you cant afford the rent they will pay the rent and only make you pay 30% of your income.
like section 8.
welfare tends to be more complicated then section 8 but section 8 is not available now if you live in ny city so this might be your only option.
hatslocha rabba

smilingmom

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 6:46 am
wise mom wrote:
Welfare has a program called gigits. (something like that)
if you live in a apartment and you cant pay rent for 3 months your landlord should give you an eviction letter.
with that you have to go down to welfare (you have to be on welfare) to show them the letter.
there is some court proceeding and it takes time with all the paperwork it entails but if you can show that you cant afford the rent they will pay the rent and only make you pay 30% of your income.
like section 8.
welfare tends to be more complicated then section 8 but section 8 is not available now if you live in ny city so this might be your only option.
hatslocha rabba

Thanks but I don't think that will help. They are not getting evicted for not paying rent, it is only $260 a month in a neighborhood where similar apartments are over $2000 per month.
They moved into their grandmothers rent controlled apartment when she went into a nursing home. They were never on the lease. After two years she passed and their landlord is now evicting them, so he can charge market rate.

abby1776

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 6:55 am
smilingmom wrote:
Thanks but I don't think that will help. They are not getting evicted for not paying rent, it is only $260 a month in a neighborhood where similar apartments are over $2000 per month.
They moved into their grandmothers rent controlled apartment when she went into a nursing home. They were never on the lease. After two years she passed and their landlord is now evicting them, so he can charge market rate.

I havent read the entire thread - but in New York, the law is in a rent controlled apartment if you lived with the deceased familymember for two years prior to death, you can take over the lease at the rent controlled rate and get your name on the lease. If you are over age 65 (it may be 60) you can apply for a SCRIE - Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption, if your income is less than 35k, or I think May De Blasio recently raised it then you get an exemption and the landlord can never raise your rent, regardless of whatever increases are in place for rent controlled or rent stabilized apartments.

NYU, Columbia, and I think Brooklyn Law School all have landlord/tenant clinics where law students help for free fight evictions and other issues for poor/low income tenants.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics