Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Do therapists expect to receive a tip/gift for Chanukah?

amother

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 12:26 am
I cannot afford to tip/gift my son's therapist so I'm not. I just feel a bit uncomfortable that I'm not giving anything and I'm wondering if she will be disappointed or if it's not expected anyway...

agreer

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 12:27 am
what kind of therapist?
mental health - no

amother

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 12:31 am
for services through the Board of Ed

amother

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 1:45 am
Why does everybody seem to expect tips all year round? Channukah, Purim, pesach, end of year...
Pet peeve. So not appreciated when expected. Friends kid last year came home Purim time with a note: mishloach manos can be dropped off at X time. What happened to leaving it by the door if not home? Or making it our choice whether to give. Growing up we never gave and we weren't asked. But then again, many teachers weren't too great so I wouldn't have wanted to give. Some were downright mean.

Basically- don't give if you can't. A note is great if you think they did an outstanding job.

justforfun87

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 2:44 am
Is this a speech therapist or an actual therapist? If it is the later, I find it very bizzare to give any sort of tip at all ever.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 9:03 am
A speech therapist, or an OT, PT, etc... earns a lot more an hour than a teacher so I personally feel that it is not as necessary to tip them even when we do tip the teachers.

But the question here is if the therapist expects it anyway...

amother

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 9:49 am
I work as a Seit therapist. It is not expected at all. It's a very nice gesture, especially if the therapist has worked very hard with your child, and you see a lot of progress..... Its definitely appreciated. But not a must at all.

seeker

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 10:12 am
I am a big believer in "it's the thought that counts." I never expect anything and I do agree with whoever stated above that therapists get paid decently in the first place, but still it is hard to watch everyone showing their appreciation to the teachers, assistants, secretaries, bus drivers, janitors, and you don't even get a card even though you put a great deal of heart and soul (and headache) into your work - which is worth more than money. So give a little heart and soul back if you can't or don't want to give money. I think it's even unethical and possibly illegal (if working through DOE) to accept tips, but there is nothing unethical about receiving a card saying "thanks for all you've done for DS, happy holiday/thing!"

amother

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 10:12 am
I'm a therapist (OT) and I would never expect it. A thank you at some point is always nice, but that can be verbal or written, usually more meaningful than a gift anyway.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 10:18 am
Doc are not allowed to receive gifts over 10

amother

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 1:31 pm
I'm a therapist through the board of ed. I do not expect anything.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 2:06 pm
Im a therapist from board of ed. I appreciate all gifts (even plain shaloch manos with no cash). But I do not expect anything. What I appreciate most is hakaros hatov. Even a simple phone call saying thank you.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 2:19 pm
As a former therapist, I agree that it's hard to watch teachers receiving gifts and tips and nothing from the child you're receiving, not even a heartfelt card. I think it's a given for most parents that teachers get a tip Chanukah time, but they seem to usually forget the therapists. I think it would make a huge difference if the agencies would remind parents to show appreciation to their children's providers before Chanukah and Purim.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 2:25 pm
It's a rich world..........

nyer1

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 2:54 pm
amother wrote:

dept of education employees are legally not ALLOWED to accept gifts / tips. the union sent out a reminder email about this. chocolate or something is one thing with a nice card but monetary gifts are a BIG NO NO and someone could lose their job if they accept it. as such is the case with most gov't positions, I believe.

BrachaBatya

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 3:05 pm
I think if you can afford to give a gift, it's a nice gesture, especially if you truly appreciate the work the therapist has done. Always better to err on the side of generosity, if possible.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 3:52 pm
nyer1 wrote:
dept of education employees are legally not ALLOWED to accept gifts / tips. the union sent out a reminder email about this. chocolate or something is one thing with a nice card but monetary gifts are a BIG NO NO and someone could lose their job if they accept it. as such is the case with most gov't positions, I believe.

As a seit I work for an agency. They get paid by board of ed, not me

Yocheved84

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 4:06 pm
amother wrote:

Cookies and a card go a long way. Smile It's the thought that counts.

Can you swing that, OP?

amother

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 6:06 pm
Another school OT here.

No expectations of tips/gifts whatsoever. I got 1 or 2 in the past 3 years. I actually asked my supervisor what to do when I got it because I learned in school we're not supposed to accept $$$ from clients. She told me I could keep it but I used it towards therapy supplies, nothing of my own personal benefit.

Really don't feel pressured to. It's really nice to but not necessary. I once got a beautiful thank u card at the end of the year, it meant a lot to me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics