Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Biography for 3rd grader about gedolim?

dr. pepper

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 12:40 pm
DC has a book report on a biography.

DC is in 3rd grade and when I asked what they are interested in, the response was "the chofetz chaim or another gadol"

Do they make lower level biographies about gedolim?

kb

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 1:48 pm
I don't know what level it's on, but artscroll put out a biography of rav nosson tzvi finkel for young readers.

doctorima

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 2:26 pm
I think there might be a version of All for the Boss or a Tzaddik in our Time for kids, not 100% sure though.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 2:56 pm
There are books appropriate for 3 and 4 years about gedolim, so I'm sure there are those appropriate for 8 year olds. Go to the local library or book store and/or ask neighbors who may have books to share.

dr. pepper

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 7:53 pm
Thanks. I guess the local Judaica store is my next stop.

And all for the boss! Oh my....I think I read that book like 10 times as a teenager! I'd love to see that for young readers. One amazing book.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 7:59 pm
You know those early Artscroll junior books? They were supposed to be all of a mold, but not the one on Rav Nachumke, that was said to be excellent.
I don't know how well your child reads. There's a junior version of In Every Generation, All for the Boss, and a lovely one on the Chofetz Chaim (can't remember who wrote it, it's not the Artscroll though I'm not knocking the Artscroll.)
If you child is a girl there's Sister in White on Shvester Selma, and one on Rebbetzin Dr. Grunfeld. And on Rebbetzin Kanievesky.
All these might be optimally for a fourth or fifth grader.

dr. pepper

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 8:04 pm
THanks Pink Fridge. Now I have an idea of what I'm looking for.
Awesome. He'll be so excited!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 8:19 pm
I really don't know what there is between books like Rabbi Hopkowitz's (which are soft cover, and come individually and in volumes, and are probably more like early to mid 2nd grade level) and something like the books I suggested. I'm probably forgetting.
Now quick question: is this from his rebbe or secular? Because if the rebbe, he has to realize not everyone has ready access to a variety of Jewish books. And if the general studies teacher, is s/he open to Jewish biographies? Does your school have a library and can there be some coordination between teacher and librarian so the kids can choose their books?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children