Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
A mad hatter and a moral dilemma
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 8:43 am
The people have spoken!

I already have many black headbands in stock, and black ribbons and such. I'll make a few prototypes and list them on Etsy over the next few weeks. Very Happy If sales are good, I'll start making more colors and styles.

I'll need LOTS of feedback if I'm going to get this niche market right, so please send me pics, links, and sketches!

amother

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 11:05 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
The people have spoken!

I already have many black headbands in stock, and black ribbons and such. I'll make a few prototypes and list them on Etsy over the next few weeks. Very Happy If sales are good, I'll start making more colors and styles.

I'll need LOTS of feedback if I'm going to get this niche market right, so please send me pics, links, and sketches!

Ff, is there somewhere I can email you a picture? I would love a link to your "store".

amother

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 11:55 am
ff- go to brooklyn and just stand on the street and watch for what your looking for, then ask them what stores they get it in and take a look.
sorry I can't help you, I live in Israel.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 11:58 am
OP here. The nicest ones are made by private people, but there are a few stores that have them. I can post names and addresses of stores but I'm wondering how ok it is to browse with the intention of copying and no plans to buy.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 12:02 pm
Put yours on, ask DH to take a pic from a couple angles, email it to FF. She obviously doesn't have access to them.

smoms

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 12:28 pm
FF, is this your Etsy shop?

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Rivk.....ftnav

Wow, you really have talent!

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 6:31 pm
amother wrote:
http://www.lightinthebox.com/e.....liate

This hat Dolly posted is I think still stylish but with a band underneath it. Op I'm saying you should get this, I understand your need to buy where everyone is buying not making your own. However for the poster who asked yes this is a chassidisha hat and would look very nice (I'm not sure if everyone would be comfortable wearing this color though, I would but I don't wear hats so...) Add a headband to it with glue gun to prevent flips and you are ready to go!

(It comes in black, beige, and that burgundy. It is seven inches wide.)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 9:21 am
The headbands don't hurt behind your ears??

amother

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 9:26 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

nope, it's sits on the sheitel, but it's also worn w/o the headband w/ a pin.

anonymous cuz of what I wear.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 10:03 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Some sit better, some worse. It never hurts, it's just a matter of does it stay in place...

sky

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 8:48 pm
Wanted to give Frantic Frummie another idea, doing it in public in case someone else can give their opinion.
I love buying my daughter big headbands because they look so great on her but they are expensive. I have a hard time finding them locally for under $10. The nicer ones are closer to $15.

She needs a headband with "teeth" with larger bows or flowers. I didn't think they should be that expensive.

These are examples of ones that are commonly sold in the frum stores locally:
These are example of ones they sell locally:
http://www.myheadcoverings.com.....l=yes

Specifically ones like these:
http://www.myheadcoverings.com.....2.htm
http://www.myheadcoverings.com.....8.htm
http://www.myheadcoverings.com.....4.htm

http://www.doubleheaderusa.com.....hb092

I don't know if its possible to get the price lower on these items, but if it is then I think it would be a huge seller.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 9:07 pm
OP here. Thanks for bumping, so I remembered to update everyone.

The borrower left me $100 to replace the hat. I feel bad, but I guess fair is fair.

I'll post a picture of what I buy iy"h. Unless FranticFrummie has something ready for me??

justcallmeima

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 9:17 pm
OP- look for "fascinators" online. That is what you are calling a "Chassidishe hat". It's also usually on a headband and sits on your head- or in your case a sheitel. I have seen young Lubavitch women wearing them on top of their long sheitels. Many women wore them to the Royal wedding a few years ago. Some of them look silly to me, but there are some that look exactly like what you're looking for.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 9:31 pm
justcallmeima wrote:
OP- look for "fascinators" online. That is what you are calling a "Chassidishe hat". It's also usually on a headband and sits on your head- or in your case a sheitel. I have seen young Lubavitch women wearing them on top of their long sheitels. Many women wore them to the Royal wedding a few years ago. Some of them look silly to me, but there are some that look exactly like what you're looking for.

Thanks for that! The fascinators I've found by googling look like tiny hats supported by a headband. I need a piece of fabric attached to a wire headband.

Can you post specific links?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 1:15 am
amother wrote:
OP here. Thanks for bumping, so I remembered to update everyone.

The borrower left me $100 to replace the hat. I feel bad, but I guess fair is fair.

I'll post a picture of what I buy iy"h. Unless FranticFrummie has something ready for me??

I have the base ready to go! I have bands that have hair combs built into them for a good grip. They'll withstand a hurricane. Wink

Are you any good at sketching? If so, send me a pic. Let me know what fabric, color, and decorations you are interested in. Every day, Shabbos, or fancy simcha. I have feathers, crystals, gold filigree, antique buttons, silk flowers, and more ribbon than you can shake a stick at.

Point me in the right direction, and I'll run with it! I'll even make it for you on spec, so if you don't like it just pay for the shipping both ways, and you won't be obligated to pay for the returned item.

This offer goes for anyone else who wants me to make something for them, too. Very Happy

amother

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 1:19 am
Hurray!!

Can you give me a ballpark price before I drive us both crazy with pictures, sketches, crafting and shipping?

amother

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 2:39 am
Call me clueless but after seeing a pic of that hat I don't understand how can anybody lose it at a wedding. Isn't it kind of stuck to your sheitel? I think chasidish women don't take it off outside their home.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 3:38 am
amother wrote:
Hurray!!

Can you give me a ballpark price before I drive us both crazy with pictures, sketches, crafting and shipping?

I actually work the other way around. Let me know how much you can afford to spend, and that will help me determine the price of the materials. Some weaves and qualities of silk cost a lot more than others, and I like to use the best I can within the price given. If you want to spend $30, you're going to get polyester statin. If you want to spend $200, you can get amazing 100% silk duchesse with Swarovski crystal accents. Wool is less expensive than cashmere felt, etc.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 4:46 am
amother wrote:
It disappeared in the shuffle, running to sheitelmacher, makeup, car, hall... she's staying with relatives and they turned thev house over to find it.

The tzedaka suggestion is interesting. I would use my own maaser to forgive her the whole amount, since she is poor enough to qualify for tzedaka, but my husband feels asking for half is fair. I could use the money, myself, too.

You mean she lost it before the wedding? What did she end up wearing?
Page 5 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics