Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Job interview question

amother

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 8:19 am
I am pregnant and looking for a job.
I was called by a headhunter about a prospect and he setup the interview for me. All my questions and concerns went through the headhunter. I haven't had any contact yet with the prospective employer. The one thing I didnt mention is that I am pregnant. In part, because I don't want it to effect future job possibilities from said headhunter.
Now the headhunter gave me the phone number for the prospective employer in case I need to reach them before the interview. Should I call them directly and mention that I am pregnant or wait until the interview? I don't want to waste my time if that is an absolute no for them.
what do you think?

momX4

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 8:26 am
usually at the end if the interview they ask if you have any questions. if not then tell the person you want to discuss a personal issue. tell them when you are due and what your childcare plans are. ask them if they have any concerns. dont hide your pregnancy unless you got a positive yesterday.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 10:04 am
momX4 wrote:
usually at the end if the interview they ask if you have any questions. if not then tell the person you want to discuss a personal issue. tell them when you are due and what your childcare plans are. ask them if they have any concerns. dont hide your pregnancy unless you got a positive yesterday.

Op here
I have no intention of hiding my pregnancy. Firstly, I'm showing and secondly, when I wasn't showing yet and asked a rav if I'm obligated to say something he said I'm not obligated to say I'm pregnant but the mentschlich thing to do before accepting a job offer is to tell the boss.
So I definitely plan on discussing it. My question is, should I contact the prospective employer before the interview and give him the opportunity to cancel so as not to waste his and my time? I guess you would probably think not.

Smile1234

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 10:13 am
amother wrote:
Op here
I have no intention of hiding my pregnancy. Firstly, I'm showing and secondly, when I wasn't showing yet and asked a rav if I'm obligated to say something he said I'm not obligated to say I'm pregnant but the mentschlich thing to do before accepting a job offer is to tell the boss.
So I definitely plan on discussing it. My question is, should I contact the prospective employer before the interview and give him the opportunity to cancel so as not to waste his and my time? I guess you would probably think not.

IMO - don't burn your bridges. The prospective employer might love you when you meet him and wont care that you'll need 6 weeks off in a few months. I would think it is proper hishtadlus not to tell him before, and to give yourself a fair shot at the interview.

haztlacha rabba and beshaa tova!

amother

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 10:23 am
Smile1234 wrote:
IMO - don't burn your bridges. The prospective employer might love you when you meet him and wont care that you'll need 6 weeks off in a few months. I would think it is proper hishtadlus not to tell him before, and to give yourself a fair shot at the interview.

haztlacha rabba and beshaa tova!

Thank you

treetop12

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 11:40 am
amother wrote:
Op here

Definitely do not tell them over the phone. Go in for the interview and impress them. If it goes to the next level you should mention it. I am in the HR field and recently hired someone who was 7 months pregnant even though, I knew that she would be out for 6 weeks a short while later. We felt that she was worth it and would be a good fit for her position. So you really never know. Good luck and Bshaah Tova!

cfriedman2

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 11:57 am
I am in the HR field. You do not need to mention you are preg. good luck with the job hunt

amother

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 12:03 pm
I went for an interview when I was 5 mths and not showing yet. At the end of the interview I said something along the lines of "For full disclosure I wanted to let you know that I am expecting and due in August"

They appreciated that I told them and it didn't affect the job offer. In fact, I am still with the company 3 years later.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics