Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
NY Contest Features Pork Latkes on Hanukkah

blueberries

Post Fri, Dec 19 2014, 10:44 am
The 6th Annual Latke Festival in New York City was held this week in honor of Hanukkah, and to mark the Jewish holiday celebrating how the Maccabees defended Judaism from Greek occupiers - participants decided to submit non-kosher ham latke potato pancakes.

A total of 24 restaurants and vendors took part in the potato pancake competition reported the The Daily Beast on Wednesday. Their entries were less than traditional to say the least.

Veselka, a Ukrainian restaurant in the East Village, layered its latkes with pork goulash. Meanwhile Mokbar, a Korean restaurant located in Chelsea Market, made its entire latke out of pork.

At least Egg, from Brooklyn, warned that its country ham latkes were not kosher with a warning sign.

The choice of serving ham latkes is particularly poignant given that the Maccabees fought off the Syrian-Greeks after they outlawed Judaism, forcing Jews to break Torah law by such acts as eating pork and sacrificing pigs to the Greek gods.

Oily latkes are traditionally eaten on the holiday to mark the miracle the occurred when the Maccabees sanctified the Second Temple that had been desecrated by the Greeks, with the oil used to light the Temple menorah (candelabrum) miraculously lasting eight days instead of one.

In saving Judaism from oblivion, the Maccabees took up arms and despite being vastly outnumbered successfully ousted the Greeks, re-establishing the last fully independent Jewish state with the Hasmonean dynasty until the modern Jewish state of Israel was founded in 1948.

http://www.israelnationalnews......88859

morah

Post Fri, Dec 19 2014, 11:25 am
That reminds me of an email that was going around a few years ago- it was a picture from a supermarket advertising a Hannukah Ham LOL

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Dec 19 2014, 11:30 am
Somehow I don't think they'll be promoting alcohol doused ham recipes to break Ramadan fasts....

debsey

Post Fri, Dec 19 2014, 12:54 pm
I agree with PinkFridge.
There's something very sad about this. Muslims WOULD take alcohol doused ham Ramadan feasts as an insult. Why are Jews always supposed to go first in anything smacking of universalism? It's Chanukah. It's latkes. Keep it nominally kosher, at least. I'm offended.

Scrabble123

Post Fri, Dec 19 2014, 2:38 pm
I'm sure you all remember the "Smoked Ham: Perfect for Chanukah" sign at Walmart just a few months ago......

Ruchel

Post Sat, Dec 20 2014, 12:59 pm
Mistakes are in good faith.
This is outrageously abnormal and as usual we have to take it smiling and show how ""integrated"" we are.
I once asked a person why they weren't shocked a Turk wants a Turkish woman, a Chinese lady wants a Chinese guy, but a Jew who want a Jew is sectarian at best... Though, if such Jew has totally lost his culture, I do see why some don't get it... Maybe it's for us to establish more differences to begin with.

greenfire

Post Sat, Dec 20 2014, 8:18 pm
oh the irony ~ who won - a jew ?

chickpea_salad

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 4:47 pm
This was considered a good idea by 3 different restaurants ... smh.

debsey

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 5:41 pm
chickpea_salad wrote:
This was considered a good idea by 3 different restaurants ... smh.

Well, they were all trying to be "edgy" and "cool" and what's more different than a traif latke? But it is offensive, and it should be offensive even to people who are not kosher.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 5:49 pm
When I read an article on this it said the festival was honoring the 'Hanukkah favorite latkes'. Latkes are a holiday food for Jews, tbs latkes are eaten by many cultures and some do include mixing pork or other foods Jews don't eat. Jews don't own latkes, there is no tm. Pick your battles.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 6:40 pm
*facepalm*

Oy vey.

*headdesk*

debsey

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 6:56 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
When I read an article on this it said the festival was honoring the 'Hanukkah favorite latkes'. Latkes are a holiday food for Jews, tbs latkes are eaten by many cultures and some do include mixing pork or other foods Jews don't eat. Jews don't own latkes, there is no tm. Pick your battles.

They didn't say "potato cakes" which is what they're called in Ireland, or any other version. They specifically said "latkes." I'm sorry, but I think this contest was meant to interest the culturally Jewish, who often are attracted to the nostalgia aspect of Jewish food.

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 7:29 pm
debsey wrote:
They didn't say "potato cakes" which is what they're called in Ireland, or any other version. They specifically said "latkes." I'm sorry, but I think this contest was meant to interest the culturally Jewish, who often are attracted to the nostalgia aspect of Jewish food.

I'm with debsey. Other cultures eat "pancakes" or "patties" or "cutlets", not latkes. Latkes are assumed to be a Jewish food. G-o-y ahead (Hopefully the censor won't change this to "gentile" and ruin the pun) and call them pork pancakes and we won't quibble. Call them latkes, though, and you have just slapped an entire people in the face. OTOH what can you expect from a culture in which a Jewish person deliberately opens an unkosher restaurant in a heavily jewish-populated city and names it Traif?

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 7:45 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:

I beg to differ. When you compete in a "latke festival in honor of Chanuka"--not an Iron Chef competition in honor of Iron Chefs but a culinary event to HONOR a Jewish holiday-- and you use as a main ingredient the food that symbolizes everything that is antithetical to Judaism--that is not a simple cultural goof. That is a deliberate diss. It SHOULD have sparked a battle. Don't be so open-mided your brains fall out.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 7:48 pm
zaq wrote:
I beg to differ. When you compete in a "latke festival in honor of Chanuka"--not an Iron Chef competition in honor of Iron Chefs but a culinary event to HONOR a Jewish holiday-- and you use as a main ingredient the food that symbolizes everything that is antithetical to Judaism--that is not a simple cultural goof. That is a deliberate diss. It SHOULD have sparked a battle. Don't be so open-mided your brains fall out.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Dandelion1

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 7:57 pm
zaq wrote:
I'm with debsey. Other cultures eat "pancakes" or "patties" or "cutlets", not latkes. Latkes are assumed to be a Jewish food. G-o-y ahead (Hopefully the censor won't change this to "gentile" and ruin the pun) and call them pork pancakes and we won't quibble. Call them latkes, though, and you have just slapped an entire people in the face. OTOH what can you expect from a culture in which a Jewish person deliberately opens an unkosher restaurant in a heavily jewish-populated city and names it Traif?

My father (not an observant Jew by any standards, but extremely culturally devoted) used to like to say about Jews like these "not only don't they believe in G-d, but they hate him!" .... it was his brand of humor.... LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics