Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Paying more than a quote?

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 5:53 pm
If you hired a worker who quoted a price for the job ( not an hourly rate), then the job took a very long time ( not because I needed any changes) would you agree to pay more than the price quoted?
If yes, why and how much more?
For ex: you hire a plumber to change a pipe, he says it will cost between$ 200-250. The job takes him most of the day( even though nothing went wrong to make it take so much time) and at the end he says pay another $100. Would you?

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 6:18 pm
It might depend on my relationship with the person - if they've given satisfactory service many times, if I like their work and expect to use them again etc.

Also if I were afraid of their reaction : (

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 6:27 pm
Op never used him before.
I gave a little more than the higher quoted amount, but was very resentful that he asked for it, bec it was NOT my fault it took so long. He was upset that I didn't pay the entire $100 extra that he wanted.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 7:07 pm
Anyone else?

MamaBear

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 7:12 pm
Only if there was an unexpected problem, an additional problem to fix etc If you could see that it was much more complicated than expected, I guess it's the right thing to do. But if he's just working slowly or didn't quite know what he's doing, it's not your fault.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 7:20 pm
If I sensed he was cheating me then I probably wouldn't. Also, what % more did he ask for? If the job was supposed to be $900 and he asked for $1000 its not as big a deal as if the job was $100 and he asked for $200. Did he explain why it took him so much longer? Last summer I hired a guy to install a basketball hoop in the backyard. He told me the price would be $175. It was a boiling hot day, close to 100 degrees and humid. The guy was working under the sun and looked like he might pass out. When he was done he asked for an extra $25 because of the intense heat. I gave it to him.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 8:49 pm
Like I said there was nothing to make it take an entire day, and he came beforehand to assess the job and give me a quote.
He asked for $100 more than the higher quote; $150 more than the lower amount.
I just didn't think it's fair that because he took so long, I had to pay so much more $ , which I can't afford.

justforfun87

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 9:09 pm
I would have not. A quote is a quote. He should of factored in how long it would of taken. If he forced it out of me, I would just not use him again and warn my friends.

cfriedman2

Post Tue, Dec 16 2014, 10:59 pm
When we moved we were given a quote by the movers and were told no matter what the cost wouldn't go over 10% more then quote I thought that was fair. That way if it took some evtra time they could charge some for it but not exuberant amount

greenfire

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 4:27 pm
did something out of his control pop out of the woodwork ... I.e. you can replace a light fixture quite simply - but if the electric wiring is old or the junction box or ceiling box have issues there could be a lot more work involved -

generally speaking one should count that into their quote - whenever possible

quite often a person has no idea what actually goes into the work process and therefore you might think the job was easier than it actually was

I'm sure you can ask why the price was different than the quote in an amicable fashion & get a reasonable answer - don't assume he/she was cheating you

amother

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 11:49 am
Greenfire, he came the week before to asses the job, and nothing changed or popped up unexpectedly.
He said he wants more because it took so long; however there was nothing to increase the time. I assume that an experienced person should be able to accurately estimate how long a job should take.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 12:00 pm
okay, inthis type of work, dh also :D does this type of work, the guy should have told you before that he charges more if it takes longer-so he should say I work by the hour. alot of handymen do that. and he should have a breakdaown of what each thing costs. material, and work. sorry it took him so long he wasnt honest to begin with. or hes not experienced. I would not give him the money-extra I mean. and explain very clearly that it isnt your fault it took him so long. he should have said so before. btw did he do a good job at least? now I see how honest dh is. :D I must be anonymous dh doesnt want to be known online
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics