Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Found a bed bug! Help!

amother

Post Fri, Dec 19 2014, 1:20 am
I've been getting those itchy bites in the past few days and in midwinter, I know I can't blame it on mosquito bites so after googling bedbugs, I decided to try searching for them. Lo and behold, I found one in the seam of my dust ruffle.
I will definitely call an exterminator tomorrow but what do I need to do until this can be taken care of. I doubt this can be done before shabbos, knowing what a hassle this is. Any advice of those who have been there? Is it possible to get rid of them permanently? I'm nervous, edgy and super itchy now! Don't even feel like sleeping in my bed now!

Busymom104

Post Fri, Dec 19 2014, 9:13 am
We just went through this. In the past couple of months a bunch of apartments in our building have had bedbugs. One night, my husband saw a bug crawling on my pillow. We saved it and it turned out to be a bedbug. The next day I woke up with bites. You should wash your linens, mattress covers, dust ruffles ASAP. You should buy mattress and box spring encasements.
The exterminator could not find anything else but we had to do the treatment anyway. You need to remove every single thing from the room. Everything needs to be exposed to heat - a ton of our stuff went to the dry cleaners, we sent out our laundry (worth every penny) and the rest we put in a heating box called "packtite".
You cannot bring anything back into the room until it has been cleaned (heated). The exterminator comes back 2 weeks later to spray again.
It was a giant pain to deal with and it cost a lot of money but all in all it could have been worse. BH there was no infestation.
Good luck!

amother

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 5:36 pm
DM1109 wrote:
We just went through this. In the past couple of months a bunch of apartments in our building have had bedbugs. One night, my husband saw a bug crawling on my pillow. We saved it and it turned out to be a bedbug. The next day I woke up with bites. You should wash your linens, mattress covers, dust ruffles ASAP. You should buy mattress and box spring encasements.
The exterminator could not find anything else but we had to do the treatment anyway. You need to remove every single thing from the room. Everything needs to be exposed to heat - a ton of our stuff went to the dry cleaners, we sent out our laundry (worth every penny) and the rest we put in a heating box called "packtite".
You cannot bring anything back into the room until it has been cleaned (heated). The exterminator comes back 2 weeks later to spray again.
It was a giant pain to deal with and it cost a lot of money but all in all it could have been worse. BH there was no infestation.
Good luck!

Thanks for your response! Are you located iN NY? If so, where did you send your laundry? I have no clue which company is credible! Thanks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics