Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Live OOT, need new shaitel, have no $$. Advice?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 1:01 pm
So I own only one shaitel. It doesn't hold a set well. Up until now I kind of just wore it on Shabbos which meant I didn't have to wash it THAT often. Now I just started a new job which necessitates my wearing a shaitel all week. A tichel is not an option so no Wrapunzel suggestions please Smile

So besides for not even really having time to get it washed, it loses a set pretty quickly if I'm wearing it every day, and it gets expensive to pay for wash & sets. What are my options for buying a (relatively) good shaitel if I live OOT (so would need a place that ships) and really don't have money to spend towards this?

I would consider a synthetic, my only worry is that I'd need to wash it very often- is that true? I'm terrible with hair so wouldn't be able to wash/blow dry it myself. Also, every time I've looked at Paula Young or others I haven't found anything I'd wear- they're all short and curly, I need something shoulder-length and straight.

But is there any chance I could find a good human-hair shaitel that I can wear for 6 weeks to 2 months before needing to wash, for like, $300-500? Or maybe less?
Maybe a band fall?

Would appreciate any suggestions Smile

amother

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 1:13 pm
I live in LA and we have a wig consignment

some are new or lightly worn or more worn.

They are being sold at a discounted rate.

Do you have anything like that where you live? maybe contact the one in LA

I own 6 wigs.
3 - 13 years old, my parents bought me when I got married (one is a hat fall)
1 - hand me down from my sis in law
1 - purchased after 5 years of marriage (so its 6 years old now)
1 - purchased at a discount because I had a sale in my house 1.5 years ago

I only mention my wig history because I have no problem wearing old, hand me down wigs. As you notice I have only purchased 2 on my own and I'm not buying one every year or 2 years.

I have have spent $100 once every other year to put color or a new cut to revive my sheitles.

What is not in that count is a band fall. I had bought an allegra years ago for $400 wore it to death pretty much everyday at work. It last me 3 (maybe even longer) years.

MamaBear

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 1:23 pm
I'd consider a band fall. They are much cheaper, more comfortable for work, and generally easy to style so you could attempt doing it yourself.

Also, if you do have a sheitel macher by you, ask if she has any ideas - she may have a lightly worn one for sale or know of someone who has one they never wear, etc

cbsmommy

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 1:24 pm
If that's your budget I would consider looking at used sheitels. Someone else's horrible cut could be your perfect style.

You don't mention where OOT you are, but I know about wig consignment shops in NY, NJ, Baltimore, Chicago, and LA. Lena's in Baltimore and Estee's Tagless Wigs in NY both have all of their stock online on Facebook.

See if they can help.

abby1776

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 1:45 pm
My understanding is that synthetic wigs are so cheap that if you wear one out, you don't wash it you throw it away and get a new one - I could be wrong. But if your budget is $500, and it costs $50 for a synthetic wig, thats 10 wigs, which could last you a year, till you save up enough money for a human hair one.

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 2:32 pm
I've heard there exist sheitel gemachs

1 kind has wigs for free or reduced prices

another kind helps with monies toward a new sheitel if you qualify

no idea where they are located these days - but this would be my query

maybe mention what colour hair you're looking for - in case someone here has one to donate

amother

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 2:54 pm
cbsmommy wrote:
If that's your budget I would consider looking at used sheitels. Someone else's horrible cut could be your perfect style.

You don't mention where OOT you are, but I know about wig consignment shops in NY, NJ, Baltimore, Chicago, and LA. Lena's in Baltimore and Estee's Tagless Wigs in NY both have all of their stock online on Facebook.

See if they can help.

thank you, that's a very good idea. could you post the info for the LA one? we may be going there in the near future...

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 3:12 pm
There are plenty of straight shoulder length attractive synthetics. On Paula Young and also on Vogue Wigs, Wiltshire Wigs, Light in the Box if you can stand finding them in all the stuff, and on and on.

A synthetic never needs to be set or blown dry, the style is permanent.

Taking care of them yourself is easy.

They can be trimmed if needed.

The band at the back edge can be snipped if it's too tight.

You wear a wig cap underneath.

If you want to PM me that's fine.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 3:16 pm
I have this one, the bangs needed a trim but you may not think so. There are others in the world for less money than this one. 17/101 color is a discreet vaguely mild blonde, would do fine for business.

http://www.paulayoung.com/prod.....r=all

It's nicer than their photo of the color.

Only shampoo a synthetic with a shampoo meant specifically for synthetic wigs. Five squeezes of this is fine:

http://www.wilshirewigs.com/lo......html

There are others also. You will need an open wig stand, a very wide tooth comb, a towel, cold water, and a cookie sheet with a lip to catch the drips as it dries overnight. All that can be obtained online.

Just soak a few minutes, rinse twice, press in the towel, and put it on the stand. Comb when it's bone dry. Some say to comb before washing. I never have the patience.

When you find a wig you like, it is very good to have a few of them.

Some crazy people keep a notebook with the labels and codes, for re-ordering. Some crazy people write the name and code number inside the wig with laundry marker.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 3:40 pm
You do NOT throw away a synthetic wig instead of washing.
You wash it in lukewarm water and zehu. It doesn't frizz. It can last YEARS. Some are more like 300 dollars, excellent, light and long lived. Even a 50 d one can last you a couple years if treated right.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 3:41 pm
Cold water.

hinenimuchan

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 3:47 pm
Try Jon Renau for better synthetic for work until you can get your hands on a gently used european human hair wig. You do not discard those; you wash them at home with their wig shampoo. The good thing about them is that the styling is permanent. No need to get that one washed and set. You could probably squeeze 6-12 months out of one like that.

Also check ebay. Look for someone who has 100% positive feedback, over 100 sales and accepts returns. There is an ebay store for discontinued Freedas called DKluger. Although the top says no returns, the item specifics on one I was looking at say that they would take a return within three days. There is also a discontinued Yaffas store on ebay called Tales From a Palm Beach Closet that I have followed for a couple of years, that consistently has perfect feedback, and that usually has 100s of listings in a wide budget range although they do NOT accept returns and for some reason today I just saw 8 much more expensive wigs listed.

I have bought a couple of non-branded mongolian human hair wigs from an ebay store called tstmary. She is not Jewish and is a bit wacky but the items were as she described and her feedback is 100%. She only has a couple of listings right now but she wrote that she has more to post. Item specifics say she will give you a day to try it and charge a 15% restocking fee if you want to return it. When I bought she allowed 15 days and did not charge restocking fee. My hunch is that if you correspond with her and you are serious she will work with you. Part of her wackiness is that she is always feeling taken advantage of. Ask me any questions you want if you're interested.

ImaLAEma

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 3:57 pm
I live in LA and desperately need a new shaitel for work. I never heard of a wig consignment place here. Could you please post details?

sitting

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 3:59 pm
I have a shaina wig. They r human hair and easy to maintain. Ibwear it in the shower to wash it and then dry it on the head. I trim ends myself when they get dry and ibwear it as a pony. Ppl think its a pony tail wig but it isnt....it just sits well in a pony. I think I have the 12 or 14". You can look on their website.

srbmom

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 4:06 pm
Also look at the freeda outlet online. You can order a few, try them on and send back what doesnt work.

November

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 4:13 pm
A friend of mine buys her sheitels at Asian hair supply stores and she lives OOT. She pays around 80-90 dollars for human hair wigs that look fantastic on her. You could try that option for not terribly much money.

acccdac

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 6:23 pm
WIG GEMACH/ WIG CONSIGNMENT STORE starting in LA
Looking for contributions for the Gemach and/or consignment sales.
For further details or to donate please call/text Ariella Istrin 818-642-1886
Or email arischochet@gmail.com
Please spread the word!! Thank you!

real

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 8:11 am
There is an eBay store called qualityforless1
they sell synthetic and European human hair wigs for much cheaper than the regular stores.
Right now they don't have to many European wigs but I was told they were getting more in within the next few days. I have bought a few from this site and I love the quality and texture of the wigs. They are selling a new wig company called AHUVA wigs. They are trying to promote this new company by selling the wigs at wholesale prices. this store has 100% feedback and has lots of happy customers.

check out www.ebay.com/quaityforless1

real

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 8:12 am
sorry- typed that in wrong

www.ebay.com/qualityforless1

real

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 8:13 am
sorry- once more

stores.ebay.com/qualityforless1
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics