Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Can I use the same microwave for meat and milk?
Previous  1  2

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 5:56 pm
mille wrote:
Okay, what I meant when I said "no one I know" is people that I know IRL. Sorry ladies, I don't know you. No clue who you are.

oops I'm a phantom ... I forget sometimes embarrassed

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 5:58 pm
Raisin wrote:
not everyone has space for two microwaves. We have a nice sized kitchen and still, I have to put mine in two very high up cupboards. I need to stand on a chair to put stuff in and out. A guest was impressed at my health savviness - she thought I was trying to avoid the evil microwave-waves by placing them so high.

interesting - I just don't stand in front of it while I nuke my coffee milk coffee then again some say the coffee will kill me

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 8:02 pm
greenfire wrote:
you might want to use loose baggies for that - anything without air is going to pop
sealed loose baggies won't pop?

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 8:06 pm
not as quickly -

saw50st8

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 8:52 pm
mille wrote:
Okay, what I meant when I said "no one I know" is people that I know IRL. Sorry ladies, I don't know you. No clue who you are. There are plenty of women here who are significantly more "right wing" than my community... Doesn't mean I know them! But I wrote what I do to show that there's obviously a variety of opinions on this matter

We don't kasher our microwave between meat and dairy, so there's no having to 'deal with' kashering it. If it's clean, it's ok for either. So we keep it clean. (I also only have one oven, and use it for meat and dairy, without kashering in between, and not waiting 24 hrs in between...which is also fairly typical in my community)

And besides, to kasher a microwave, you clean the inside and then heat up water inside til it boils. So says my rabbi.

The differing opinions in this thread are exactly why I said to ask your rabbi... What does it matter what I do with my microwave, if your rabbi says you need separate ones?

We technically hold the same way you do. However, we chose to have two microwaves because I don't always clean mine out well and I find it easier to be lazy :-)

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 9:06 pm
greenfire wrote:
not as quickly -
Does not seem to work for me.
We have kashered a microwave on occasion when we were out of the house but in general but we do not use the microwave for both.

mille

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 9:48 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
We technically hold the same way you do. However, we chose to have two microwaves because I don't always clean mine out well and I find it easier to be lazy :-)

No such luxuries in a tiny apartment Wink I'm just happy we have a dishwasher, to be honest!

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 10:15 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Does not seem to work for me.
We have kashered a microwave on occasion when we were out of the house but in general but we do not use the microwave for both.

same here in an urgent necessity elsewhere - if I recall the bags had to be bigger & loose enough that the air wouldn't burst them open as they expand

twirl

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 10:27 pm
When I asked this question, I was told it is not okay to double wrap food and use for both meat and milk. We had to decide if we wanted the microwave to be for meat or for milk and stick to it. Also, an oven needs to be kashered before it can be switched from milk/meat or vice versa.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics