Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Describe your seminary experience
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 9:31 pm
I had a traumatizing seminary experience (forced to deal with other girls issues that were way over my head, I slowly fell apart and no one on the staff noticed or cared enough to do anything about it...) which pretty much turned me off of the whole concept of seminary in general. I have friends who had more positive experiences and do feel that it was life changing in a positive way...what was your experience?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 9:52 pm
www.semstory2.blogspot.com

Its all documented for anyone still interested... Surprised

agreer

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 10:20 pm
I made some really good friends, but honestly, it was a complete waste of time and money. I just went because everyone else was going (10+ years ago).

I was also a bit too academic for my seminary, so I was bored in class. I wanted to go to another one but I was not accepted.

bcimhappy

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 10:30 pm
I loved seminary. I learned so much about myself, I had an amazing experience, gained so much knowledge and independence.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 10:40 pm
Op here. Bcimhappy do you mind my asking how long ago you were in sem? A range is fine...Also do you think you can share some specific ways that sem affected your life?
I don't mean to be creepy, I'm asking because some pre-sem girls were talking to me about this and I want to be able to give them a fair picture, not just my biased feelings.

Anion7

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 10:42 pm
Beyond incredible. My family wasn't as frum as I wanted so being in Israel and getting to meet different families inspired me for the family I want for myself. And also, it really made me come to love every Jew just for being a Jew. It can be hard in a place filled with Jews but I saw so much beauty and togetherness, I never felt more proud to be part of such a special people.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 1:36 am
I got kicked out

amother

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 1:56 am
I was s-xually abused almost daily by a very manipulative "friend". Until that point (first month or two), I had the time of my life.
the second half of the year I barely attended classes.
(Interestingly or sadly enough, I only made the connection much later... I never in my life skipped classes or had any problems listening or focusing in class before seminary)

luppamom

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 3:04 am
I loved seminary. I am from OOT and didn't have a large selection of schools or friends, so seminary was like paradise as I picked the type of school and had a lot of friends who had similar interests to me. My friends were amazing! I learned so much from them and still continue to enjoy them (was in seminary 5 yrs. ago).

I loved being in EY and going on tiyulim and to different ppl for Shabbos,I left wanting to live there and b"H I do!

Academically, seminary was a challenge which was fun as HS really wasn't (at least not for limudei kodesh), but it was a bit stressful as I was not prepared for the intensity of the work. I didn't stress too much and managed to pass and still enjoy myself and go on walks and trips to the Kosel.

But, the lack of sleep was what got me. That combined w/ the academic challenge and pressure to do well caused me to have stomach problems. I lost a lot of weight (10 lbs.-but did not need to lose weight) and came back home w/ acid reflux. b"H after a few months on medicine, the acid reflux went away and I gained back the weight (plus more Smile)

Notwithstanding the foregoing, it was totally worth it and I would do it again, but being very careful about the stress (maybe I wouldn't go through a college, so no pressure to do well) and I would try harder to get sleep easier said than done Smile

DrMom

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 3:23 am
I've never been to seminary, but I bet you'd get similar responses if you asked secular people, "describe your freshman year at college."

Some people find the change exhilarating, some find it frightening, some handle it well, others don't; some people find being away from home allows them to stretch their wings and others aren't ready for it.

It depends very much on people's personalities, the group of students they fall in with, the institution itself, etc.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 1:18 pm
I was in sem almost 17 years ago. It was an amazing experience. My closest friends today are from there.
I went to a sem that had a program for israeli girls too. It was wonderful living with israeli girls in the same dorm.
I learned a lot in the class room as well as out of the class room.
I chose to make my life in Israel because of that year in Israel.
It completely changed my life. I grew up, became independent, and learned to live with different kinds of people during that year. All very valueable things that people should know, in my opinion.

But I agree with DrMom. It is probably the same type of question as tell us about your freshman year experience.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 1:32 pm
I went 30 years ago, to sem in America. It was exhilarating. I cam from OOT and found NY exciting. I met a lot of cool people, had enriching experiences, and classes on a deeper level than I'd learned before. I think sem is really important for most girls.

bcimhappy

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 1:38 pm
I was there about 10 yrs ago.. just being on my own, making new friends (who I still keep in touch with today ) going away every shabbos mostly to strangers.yes there was plenty of drama involved but that's how I learned how to deal with ppl. I went for 2 yrs and I wish I could do it again. Also gave me such a love for the land of israel. And the classes were mostly great and gave me a way to connect with Hashem and Judaism in a way I was never exposed to. I went to a bais yakov school and tgis wasn't b.y. but still very frum.. that time allowed me to be selfish, no responsibilities, let me be introspective and grow into myself

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 1:50 pm
Scratching Head

amother

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 1:56 pm
it saved my life and destroyed my life all in one.

saved me from a horrible home situation and abuse.

destroyed me by brainwashing me to change in a way that wasn't good for me and now I am very unhappy with my life as a result. I was such an easy target for pushing a certain way because my self esteem was so non existent.

I will do everything in my power to make sure my kids don't end up in sem/yeshiva in Israel.

Jewishmom8

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 2:08 pm
hated it but to defend my sem it was such a bad time in my life in general so it may not be the sems fault.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 2:32 pm
I had an fantastic time when I was there. I was newly BT so it felt great being in a place where I could learn as much as I wanted, express my Judaism and be around other religious ground. I made several friends for life, who, even though we are not in touch so often, can pick up right where we left off whenever we do speak. My sem wasn't BY and encouraged us to explore all different hashkafas, which was confusing but ultimately very good for me.

But...

I made some very close bonds with the teachers, the menaheles especially. After therapy, I realize that I desperately needed a mother figure I could trust and respect, and she provided me with that. But she was unfortunately not equipped to deal with the situation properly. She "led me on", told me that she was my real mother and that she could give me what I needed. Then dropped me when it became too intense for her.

It was the most scarring thing I had ever had to deal with. Baruch Hashem I worked through it but it took a long, long time. With hindsight, I don't believe this woman had ill intentions; she is an incredibly giving person, but didn't realise her limits, and the importance of setting boundaries. Very dangerous.

So, seminary for me was on the one hand "amazing", but on the other hand, thinking of it reminds me of this whole experience and brings up those bad memories for me.

MMCH

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 5:23 pm
Had a great YEAR and experience in EY, learned alot of about myself which was great, and went to some wonderful classes.

I say I LOVED the seminary I went to (8 years ago) but if im being honest, it was just OK. THe teachers could actually care less about the students unless your brilliant and really really frum, or really struggling with school and your frumkiet.

I always fell in the middle, did fine in classes, was frum, but I did not leave my comfort zone, bc no one pushed me, never approached a teacher unless I had to.

But I did have a blast with my friends, who I wished I kept up with more.
I think its a great experience to go away from home for a year.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 5:43 pm
I had a good time, made friends, but the worst part was finding somewhere to go every single shabbos. I had no relatives or family friends living there, I knew no one. Every week on Wednesday I went into panic mode to find somewhere to go. I'd never want to send my dd's to Israel for that reason.

bruriyah

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 11:15 pm
I went to a very right-wing seminary which managed to do a considerable amount of brainwashing. In the beginning, I was miserable. Then I acclimated. Looking back, it was a waste of a year; the life I lead today is far far away from the hashkafos they preached.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics