Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Open sesame ...

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 3:30 pm
where does sesame seeds come from ... what brocha would one say on a candy that is mostly sesame seeds ?

Iymnok

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 3:39 pm
They come from the seed pod of the sesame plant. I guess the bracha would be hoadama.

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 3:40 pm
okay ~ I was about to wash

zaq

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 4:08 pm
greenfire wrote:
okay ~ I was about to wash

As in al netilat yadayim? why?
sesame seeds are haadamah. Halvah is shehakol.(Brochos Study Guide by Rabbi Eliezer Wenger). I would assume that sesame candy which is whole sesame seeds in a sugar/honey matrix would also be haadamah, since peanut brittle in which whole peanuts or peanut pieces are visible is haadamah.

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 4:13 pm
zaq wrote:
As in al netilat yadayim? why?
sesame seeds are haadamah. Halvah is shehakol.(Brochos Study Guide by Rabbi Eliezer Wenger). I would assume that sesame candy which is whole sesame seeds in a sugar/honey matrix would also be haadamah, since peanut brittle in which whole peanuts or peanut pieces are visible is haadamah.

I dunno - my sonny boy always washes - I thought I wanted to eat the sesame bar & if all else fails wash on bread & no need for more brochos [I would lose my lub card cause you say a brocha on a forshbeis & dessert]

Last edited by greenfire on Sun, Dec 21 2014, 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

youngishbear

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 4:14 pm
Love the thread title!

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 4:16 pm
upside - I said האדמה

downside it wasn't so honey-licious

upside it was crunch but soft so I still have my teeth Tongue Out

zaq

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 4:20 pm
Since you asked, sesame is an annual herb that probably originated in Asia or East Africa before spreading throughout most of the tropical-to-temperate regions of the globe. It is not a grain but was ground into flour and used like grain in ancient Egypt. Interestingly, the finest Chinese ink blocks are made from soot generated by burning sesame oil. I think I would rather have fine halvah than a fine ink block.

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 4:24 pm
zaq wrote:
Since you asked, sesame is an annual herb that probably originated in Asia or East Africa before spreading throughout most of the tropical-to-temperate regions of the globe. It is not a grain but was ground into flour and used like grain in ancient Egypt. Interestingly, the finest Chinese ink blocks are made from soot generated by burning sesame oil.

thanx teach Wink

zaq wrote:
I think I would rather have fine halvah than a fine ink block.

as would I - chocolate coated please

zaq

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 5:19 pm
And now I have a yen for halvah...with pistachios or almonds is my fave but we only get packaged Joyva blocks, plain, marble or chocolate coated, often stale. Sigh.

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 5:23 pm
don't they have use before dates ...

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 5:24 pm
According to brachos.com, brocha before eating a sesame bar is ha'adama and after is borei nefashos citing source of "Laws of B'rachos" page 379.

zaq

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 5:25 pm
greenfire wrote:
I dunno - my sonny boy always washes - I thought I wanted to eat the sesame bar & if all else fails wash on bread & no need for more brochos [I would lose my lub card cause you say a brocha on a forshbeis & dessert]

Maybe sonny boy thinks it is a cereal grain, like eating toasted wheat berries? I remember reading Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves and Ali Baba, trying to remember the password, mutters "it's a grain of some sort: Open Wheat? Open Rye? Oh, right, Open Sesame!"

Sesame was believed in ancient times to possess magical powers, hence the use of it as a magical incantation. I find sesame candy has a magical ability to remove fillings...

zaq

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 5:28 pm
greenfire wrote:

I think not. The use-before date is voluntary on the part of the manufacturer for non-perishables, and assumes excellent storage conditions. If they are stored in a hot warehouse or subjected to wide fluctuations in temp then all bets are off.

zaq

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 6:00 pm
greenfire wrote:

I think not. The use-before date is voluntary on the part of the manufacturer for non-perishables, and assumes optimal storage conditions. If they are stored in a hot warehouse or subjected to wide fluctuations in temp then all bets are off.

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 6:05 pm
zaq wrote:
I think not. The use-before date is voluntary on the part of the manufacturer for non-perishables, and assumes optimal storage conditions. If they are stored in a hot warehouse or subjected to wide fluctuations in temp then all bets are off.

they need refrigeration - don't they ?

zaq

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 6:48 pm
greenfire wrote:
they need refrigeration - don't they ?

No. But because they have a high fat content, they do better in cool surroundings and will go rancid faster in the heat. In very hot weather if you have no a/c you would want to put halvah in the fridge because the heat will make it ooze oil and be very messy.

wait--are we talking halvah or sesame crunch candies? Sesame crunch candy requires no refrigeration but must be kept in a place of low humidity. The sugar/honey matrix absorbs water from the atmosphere and will get icky-sticky if left lying around in a humid place. In fact, if you make your own, you must make it on a cool, very dry day or it will not harden.

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 7:13 pm
my mama used to make sesame candy - hm I have to call her now

but one of my daughter's shared an interesting one with me ... but now I wish I had halva - I'm in one of those moods where I need food for comfort

maybe I just need chanuka doughnuts ... or glenlivet - I'm confused Scratching Head

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 7:42 am
zaq wrote:
Maybe sonny boy thinks it is a cereal grain, like eating toasted wheat berries?

nah he just likes to wash - eat a bunch of everything so he can bentch

zaq wrote:
I remember reading Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves and Ali Baba, trying to remember the password, mutters "it's a grain of some sort: Open Wheat? Open Rye? Oh, right, Open Sesame!"

Sesame was believed in ancient times to possess magical powers, hence the use of it as a magical incantation.

when I grew up I actually thought maybe it was 'open says a me' & how silly the open sesame was in my head - some things stick either way - to the noodle

zaq wrote:
I find sesame candy has a magical ability to remove fillings....

there should be a special morning brocha שיש לי שינים

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 4:45 pm
We must be related. Whenever anyone says anything about sesame, I think "sez-a you!"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions