Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Need Urgently - food for kid allergic to Wheat

proudmommy123

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 3:42 pm
DD allergic to wheat, nutrionist said she should not eat dairy and also keep off potatoes
Need ideas URGENT

Pls send me whatever ideas you have ASAP

anonymrs

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 4:03 pm
How old is dd? Some things that come to mind for breakfast, oatmeal, cereal with soy/rice/coconut milk, scrambled eggs. There are spelt or gluten free breads/crackers/cakes that can be bought, eaten for lunch with eggs, tuna, avacado, hummus, peanut butter to go with it. There's also rice pasta that can be made with sauce and Daiya cheese (that's dairy free). Meat, chicken, and fish with rice or quinoa.

mha3484

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 4:17 pm
PP gave good suggestions. If she can have spelt, my local grocery store carries a large variety of kosher spelt products like crackers, pretzels, pizza dough bagels.

zigi

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 5:40 pm
www.glutenfreeshoppe.com

there are a lot of gluten free products, chex corn and rice cereal are gluten free on amazon there is a bisquick that is gluten free.

also try a health food store that also sells food they have a lot of products there.
serve rice. quinoa, both barilla and ronzoni sell gluten free pasta

proudmommy123

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 7:50 pm
Shes a young teen and needs good food, shes jealous of the other family members that can have all regular food, I need to be able to either make her some real yummy food and snax or buy her, I would appreciate more suggestions or experience that you have

imasinger

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 8:46 pm
Try doing a search of the site with the words "gluten free" or the lettera "GF". There are many threads, and many recipes.

Most food stores have at least a few gluten free snack items on a shelf. Can you tell us what she likes to eat, so we can suggest substitutes?

Spaghetti can be made from black bean, rice, or other starches. Breads and crackers, too. Fruits and veggies are fine, as are most proteins, like eggs, fish, and meat. You can make starchy sides from quinoa, rice, kasha, and more. And there are lots of dessert options, too.

Hang in there! You'll be a pro at this soon.

Refuah shleima to your DD.

eema2five

Post Fri, Dec 26 2014, 5:00 am
you can PM me.
I cook gluten/dairy/soy/nighshade (potatoes ++) -free!

yOungM0mmy

Post Fri, Dec 26 2014, 6:10 am
If she can have all grains except wheat, I wouldn't jump to gluten free. I have delicious recipes for spelt brownies, banana cake, chocolate chip cookies, apple crumble, granola bars etc, also dairy free, which taste much better than the shop bought GF stuff - when my son was off wheat I always made things with spelt instead, and served the same thing to everyone, including guests, and no one could tell the difference. I always, always, have a yummy desert/snack type thing on hand for my allergic son, so he doesn't feel left out or deprived.

In my opinion, gluten free pasta is disgusting as well, and the brown rice pasta is not much better, so go for rice (egg fried rice, risotto, stuffed peppers etc) quinoa, homemade falafel, shnitzel or chicken crumbed with cornflake crumbs, salmon with cornflake crumbs and maple syrup, etc instead of trying to replicate pasta. Once you stop trying to fit things into a certain box to replace the pasta, you can make delicious food, and serve it to everyone instead of making two meals each day.

Let me know if you want any recipes, good luck to you and your daughter.

greenfire

Post Fri, Dec 26 2014, 9:40 am
gefen has instant asian flavoured soups in bowls that are made with rice noodles ...

mha3484

Post Fri, Dec 26 2014, 9:44 am
The gf pasta has changed a lot in the past few years. Ronzoni and Barilla both make a great product.

zigi

Post Fri, Dec 26 2014, 12:42 pm
you can make a lot of recipes gluten free. I make a gluten free sesame chicken- I use brown rice flour for the tempura batter

shnitzel use crushed chex, rice flour etc.

meatballs, use smashed beans or gf breadcrumbs instead of regular.

a lot of meals I make it totally gf even though its only one family member that is gf.

experiment with recipes. there is a facebook kosher gluten free and normal

animeme

Post Fri, Dec 26 2014, 3:40 pm
I checked my box of barilla pasta- no potato in it. It's good, as opposed to everything we used to use. Makes a great baked ziti, which can be frozen in small pans or Tupperware.

Also, LaChoy brand soy sauce has no wheat.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Dec 26 2014, 4:12 pm
B'gan Sweet Potato Fries: http://bganrecipes.com/sweet-potato-fries/

Terra Chips: http://www.terrachips.com/

Stir-fries but use wheat-free soy sauce like this one: http://www.vitacost.com/san-j-.....P8HAQ

cbg

Post Sat, Dec 27 2014, 6:50 pm
Cauliflower crust pizza
I make this all the time and my family loves it.
You can make a few crusts at one time and freeze it.
You can use soy cheese, or leave the cheese out and make it with just sauce and lots of veggie toppings.

I make schnitzel or breaded fish with unsweetened coconut flakes. I put the coconut flakes in the food processor with tumeric, paprika, and other spices.
This gives the coconut the color of cornflake crumbs. Dip the chicken/fish in egg, then the spiced coconut. Bake in the oven.

How about cauliflower mash (instead of potato)

Search for paleo recipes, since these don't have grains or dairy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking