Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
I lent out my car seat & got it back with a huge stain
Previous  1  2

jflower

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 12:17 pm
I just had an idea. can you try mixing Tide & Oxyclean with water in a bucket, & then brush the stain (or dip rag into solution & rub stain)? Leave solution on for a while, then rub with water-soaked rag & let dry.

Those 2 products have gotten tough stains out for me. Sometimes I have to repeat the process but it's worth a try.

smss

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 12:19 pm
jflower wrote:
I just had an idea. can you try mixing Tide & Oxyclean with water in a bucket, & then brush the stain (or dip rag into solution & rub stain)? Leave solution on for a while, then rub with water-soaked rag & let dry.

Those 2 products have gotten tough stains out for me. Sometimes I have to repeat the process but it's worth a try.

thanks, I'll try that! those products won't leave marks? I won't really be able to wash them all out, only wipe it clean..

Shana_H

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 12:27 pm
smss wrote:
we wanted to sell this car seat. now instead of a "car seat in new condition" I have a "car seat w/ stain on cover" to sell.

I will often buy things gently used, bikes, trikes, Cosy Coups, but never a car seat, you can't use one that's been in a crash, and no one's gonna tell you the truth!

SJcookie

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 12:37 pm
Smss, is it possible that they didn't notice the stain? That would make a big difference.

luvinlife

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 12:51 pm
In the future only lend out things that you won't mind if they get ruined slightly. That will save you from any anguish.

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 1:02 pm
Usually kids stuff is made to be quite durable and kid friendly. How hard, past baby wipes, have you worked to remove the stain? I second the oxyclean.

Dassie

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 1:30 pm
When you lend out items, you must expect something may happen to it. If you want it in exact same condition, should be mentioned beforehand. Maybe just ask them what the stain was because you are having trouble removing it. They should get the hint to take care of it.

Barbara

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 1:40 pm
watergirl wrote:
Usually kids stuff is made to be quite durable and kid friendly. How hard, past baby wipes, have you worked to remove the stain? I second the oxyclean.

Actually, I'm surprised that a car seat cover cannot be removed and washed. Have you googled to see if it can be done?

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 1:48 pm
casually telling the person would at least have her know it's better to be open & say oops we made this dirty rather than pretend it didn't happen ... unless of course she didn't even notice

as for a stain - how could it be a stain if you didn't try to wash it ... if you cannot spot clean it with some baking soda & soap then put it in the shower & hose it down using a washcloth or scrub brush gently in circles

after towel drying let it air dry & then brush it dry to revamp the material [not sure why I'm imagining some sort of plush in the material]

note for future: do NOT lend out anything you expect to get back in exact condition ... almost every single thing has some wear & tear ability [and babies do get dirty]

EmesOrNT

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 3:16 pm
Barbara wrote:
watergirl wrote:

Actually, I'm surprised that a car seat cover cannot be removed and washed. Have you googled to see if it can be done?

Exactly this.

My husband recently lent my car seat to his friend and the baby vomited all over it. The care instructions said it can only be spot cleaned, and the mom was so sorry, so I told her to try to wash it anyway, on delicate, and see what happens. It looks good as new.

Emotional

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 4:50 pm
smss wrote:
Bambamama wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't say anything. What would you hope to gain?

I would hope to gain a carseat in the condition the one I gave them to was Smile

am I crazy? there have been times I borrowed things (books, clothing) and they got ruined in my house. so...I bought new ones to return to the people I borrowed from. I don't understand why they didn't even apologize.

My sister once borrowed a car seat from me... her daughter vomited in it.... when she didn't return it for weeks I had to chase her for it... the dried vomit was all over it, she never even swiped with a wipe... and somehow she accused me of not being "understanding" that she was too overwhelmed to deal with it... so I had to deal with it....
That being said, I don't think a stain warrants them buying you a whole new car seat. A sincere apology, though, and an effort to remove the stain, would have been appropriate.

thedudette

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 5:38 pm
And that is why I don't ever lend or borrow anything that can get dirty. Other stuff no problem but why get into a possible awkward situation...
If it was me if assume she'd replace the cover and if not get you a replacement and keep the stained one.

jflower

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 6:36 pm
smss wrote:
jflower wrote:

thanks, I'll try that! those products won't leave marks? I won't really be able to wash them all out, only wipe it clean..

smss, to avoid getting water marks you might have to make the whole seat cover wet with the solution (especially if it's a light color) and then use a wet rag to rinse off. It just might work.

smss

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 12:29 pm
ok, so the cover is impossible to remove- it's built into the seat. BUT, I scrubbed it with tide dissolved in warm water (didn't have oxyclean) and then rinsed it off in the shower and it looks MUCH better, the stain is almost completely gone! thanks for the tip!

fiddle

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 12:44 pm
which car seat is this?

RachelB

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 1:05 pm
fiddle wrote:
which car seat is this?

I would like to know too- brand/model

Dassie

Post Sat, Dec 27 2014, 6:55 pm
I would ask them if they have any idea what the stain came from because you are having a hard time removing it.

OOTBubby

Post Sat, Dec 27 2014, 7:02 pm
Dassie wrote:
I would ask them if they have any idea what the stain came from because you are having a hard time removing it.

I would hope that after more than a year this has been resolved.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette