Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
ISO KBD Short on Time Red Rice (Spanish?) Recipe

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 4:15 pm
We're in the midst of packing for our move, and my cookbooks have already been packed up.
Can someone please post the oven baked red rice recipe from the Kosher by Design Short on Time cookbook? I don't remember the exact name of the recipe.
I'd like to put up the rice very soon.
Thanks so much!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 4:46 pm
Bump

stargazer

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 5:04 pm
Here it is:

Red Rice

2 cups raw long-grain rice
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tsp salt
2 cups water
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables

Preheat oven to 350. Pour rice into 9x13 or oval baking dish. Add tomato sauce, ketchup, salt and water. Stir to combine. Stir in the frozen vegetables. Cover tightly with foil. Bake for 1 hour. Remove foil, let stand 5 minutes, fluff with fork.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 7:54 pm
Thank you so much stargazer! I really appreciate it.

mha3484

Post Sun, Dec 28 2014, 1:14 pm
Can this be frozen or should I half the recipe?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 28 2014, 7:03 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Can this be frozen or should I half the recipe?
This rice ends up a bit mushy so might not freeze beautifully, but if you're using Uncle Ben's it should probably do fine even frozen.

elf123

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 5:53 pm
I realize this is an old thread, but just tried making this for the second time (last time was years ago.) Now I remember the recipe flopped. Followed it exactly, and after an hour and a half the rice is still raw...any ideas? I'm leaning towards a mistake in either the ingredients or the directions...

cbg

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 6:03 pm
elf123 wrote:
I realize this is an old thread, but just tried making this for the second time (last time was years ago.) Now I remember the recipe flopped. Followed it exactly, and after an hour and a half the rice is still raw...any ideas? I'm leaning towards a mistake in either the ingredients or the directions...

Liquid should always double the amount of rice, so I would mix all wet ingredients first and measure. If I'm using 2 cups of rice I need 4 cups of liquid.

elf123

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 6:07 pm
It's 2 cups of rice and only 2 cups of water, BUT it also has a 15 oz. can of tomato sauce and 1/4 c. ketchup, so it should be enough liquid...

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 08 2015, 6:22 pm
Is your oven hot enough? Pays to get an oven thermometer. I find that my current oven can take an hour to heat up properly, now that I can actually see on the thermometer, so often I will start th oven off higher and when it finally reaches the thermometer temperature I am aiming, I slowly bring down the setting on the oven and keep the temp I want stable.
It's a shame. Previous oven did not have this issue.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes