Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Raw vegan or vegeterian anyone?

coconutoil

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 4:35 pm
Hello! I was wondering if someone out there was in the same case as me: I'm slowly transitionning into being a raw vegan but I have issues figuring out how could I eat that way even shabbat.
Are there any vegeterians out there? If yes what do you cook for shabbat and do you invite guests over?
Thank you !

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 21 2014, 4:55 pm
people who eat like that eat differently for just themselves ... they do not impose it on their family or their guests

coconutoil

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 4:14 am
I am not imposing on anyone: I don' t know what let you assume that....
I am just looking for ideas of meals for shabat on that lifestyle, that's all.
My family eats the same way but we are flexible: just trying to eat better...
All I want is to know if someone has experiences to share... That's it.
Are you vegan yourself?

chani8

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 5:16 am
You don't get any simpler with raw vegan. Keep it simple. Unprocessed.

Veggie sticks and dips. Salad with nuts and seeds and olive oil dressing. Fruit salad for dessert.

In case you're wondering, no, I'm not vegan. I'm into 'unprocessed foods' (not raw) and organic/free range protein.

I tried raw vegan and ended up with bloating, gas, a very unhappy stomach. Way too much fiber for me. Juicing was the only good part of that diet. And even then, I can only tolerate a little bit of juice at a time because of the natural sugars spiking my blood sugar.

Pizza

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 7:13 am
I made spreads and wraps, put them on the table along with the 'normal' shabbos food. my family tasted/tried whatever they wanted, and then had the rest of the food; I had my food. I tended to make more salads than usual (we always have a green salad, frequently some others as well) but made sure my family didnt feel deprived. its a hard balance. good luck!

EsaEinai

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 7:22 am
Im a vegetarian gone vegan, but I don't do raw only. I make typical shabbos foods. I make potato kugel without eggs, parve cholent, majadra (rice and lentils), puréed orange vegetable soup etc. and for my family I have fish, chicken/meat, meat cholent, deli etc. I serve lots of salads and cut up veggies and dips. And yes we have lots of guests- no one had noticed that I'm vegan Smile

I know you're interested in raw foods, but I figured since I am a vegan I may as well respond with my experiences.

piece

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 8:58 am
3 people in my fam eat only raw fruits/veg.
for them I prepare the raw veg & for everyone else including guests I prepare regular traditional Shabbos foods

coconutoil

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 6:18 pm
Thank you very much to all of you for sharing your experience!
I'm european and no one around me in the jewish community is really vegan or vegeterian: people cannot even imagine a shabbat without meat and neither did I until I tried.....
Good luck!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 23 2014, 7:01 am
coconutoil wrote:
Thank you very much to all of you for sharing your experience!
I'm european and no one around me in the jewish community is really vegan or vegeterian: people cannot even imagine a shabbat without meat and neither did I until I tried.....
Good luck!

same Smile

Dina_B613

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 1:06 am
Hi Coconut -

I try to eat a high raw diet, sometimes that means a 100% raw salad with raw pasta and sometimes that means quinoa and grilled tofu in an otherwise raw salad as a main for Shabbat. The easiest way to go about being raw is to do so gradually - including Shabbat meals. You could try making one course raw at first, like the salad course, then adding at least 1 raw food into other meals.

Year-round I serve fruit for Shabbat dessert like banana "ice cream," kiwis, jicama, mango, and pineapple. In the winter, I serve seasonal salads like cabbage salad, kale salad, carrot salad and use other root vegetables. I go easy on raw desserts like cheesecake because they tend to have a ton of oil and are high fat. I avoid using a lot of nuts and seeds, but most raw people use them a lot. Some of my raw friends make raw pasta, but the only spiralizers I've tried require a ton of work that I'm too lazy to do.

I also don't make smoothies using banana for Shabbat because the banana tends to oxidize and make the smoothie bitter by the next morning.

I learned a lot about raw food, what I need and don't need, from Gena Hamshaw's website "Choosing Raw" and a lot from her new book with the same name. She's a very sane, down to earth person who doesn't encourage you to spend megabucks on food or tools for food. I would strongly encourage you to use her recipes for Shabbos, please feel free to PM me and I can give you some of her recipes that I've written down.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics