Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
New rebbi

amother

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 9:18 am
My 3rd grade son just got a new Rebbi (Unfortunatley, his first Rebbi who we love, is ill.). After Day one with the new Rebbi- "Ema, I hope it snows so I don't have to go to school tomorrow. The kids were so wild."
day 2-got a call from the principal my son was involved in a "tiff" during class some kid pushed him so he pushed him back. (why the other kid was out of his seat with his sweatshirt hood over his head walking around like a hoodlum, I don't know). Day 3- son makes up a song asking to be homeschooled because the class is too noisy.
His home behavior has not changed yet. The Rebbi is new to teaching elementary school. I want to give him a chance, but gotta look out for my own kid. How long do I wait before speaking to the teacher and getting the principal involved? Gut is telling me this is not going to get better. By the way the class is well behaved during English.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 9:30 am
I would go to the school and see for yourself what's going on

amother

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 9:51 am
dh said same thing- the principal is very protective of his teachers, which is great for them, so I am not sure he will let me sit in. My son said the principal has been in the classroom every day for a little bit.
Also not reassuring when one hears that the quietest sweetest boy(aside from DS of course) was sent to the prinicpal's office on the first day the new rebbi was there.

sourstix

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 11:12 am
I hope I am on target here. to gain control some teachers, rebbi, principle will choose a very quiet good boy and use him as a scapegoat-not sure spelling. and then the kids will see that he means business. I know someone that became principle and had to gain control at the first day he picked one boy (who he knew the parent wouldnt complain) and gave him a potch. now I dont say that was smart. which means that if your child did nothing wrong and was picked it could be that was the reason. it isnt good skills but it is what it is. does that help? dont forget it is in the middle of the year and he needs to gain control. the kids are confused and their behavior isnt helping the situation. maybe bribe your son you will give him something if he tells you he was good. or speak to other mothers and come up with a plan to bribe the kids to be quiet to give the poor guy a chance.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 11:32 am
You seriously don't get why it might be hard for a random teacher, young to boot, coming in the middle of the year, to control the classroom? Have you never heard of how awful kids can be to substitutes? I am an experienced teacher who has subbed on the side here and there. I have EXCELLENT control of my regular classrooms, but when I have subbed, in different schools, it's a whole different ball of wax. The good news is, the long-term sub jobs (lasting weeks or months), the teacher does gain control pretty quickly. But please, give this poor rebbe a week to settle in! When a teacher disappears on their class, it's a bit of a shock to the system, the kids lose a little bit of that consistency. If the sub is going to stick around awhile, they will grow into the class and get a handle on it so long as they provide the consistency the kids are looking for. But it won't happen in two days! Please give it to the beginning of next week before you complain to principal.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 12:05 pm
He is going to be a long term sub- ds thinks he is a very good rebbi and is doing a good job, just his classmates are not doing their job(kinda cute and innocent when you think about it. ) I figured that since they are still young they would want to impress the rebbi- not test him out like high schoolers. Thanks for the encouragement- just don't want my son to not love school!

amother

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 12:14 pm
amother wrote:
He is going to be a long term sub- ds thinks he is a very good rebbi and is doing a good job, just his classmates are not doing their job(kinda cute and innocent when you think about it. ) I figured that since they are still young they would want to impress the rebbi- not test him out like high schoolers. Thanks for the encouragement- just don't want my son to not love school!

I ME the high schoolers are more polite to long term subs. They understand that life must go on and the sub, for all intents and purposes, is Rabbi Cohen until such time as Rabbi Cohen returns. They also understand that they will still be held accountable for learning the material that Rabbi Cohen was planning to cover during that time. Elementary schoolers don't think as far ahead and may not realize that this Rebbe is sticking around for now. Your son will be fine. He is going through an unfortunate disruption, but it shouldn't matter in the long run so long as the sub gets a handle on it and is able to resume things as usual for as long as he needs to.

doctorima

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 12:31 pm
Have you spoken to other parents in the class? If you're the only one with issues with the new Rebbe, the principal will be much less likely to take you seriously. But if others are reporting similar problems from their sons and you approach the principal together, you have a much better chance of being heard.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics