Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Dough rise in garbage bag

feminism

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 10:51 pm
Tried it? I heard it speeds up rising process, BUT I dont want to risk it

Levtov

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 10:54 pm
Yes, but make sure it is a clean unscented bag. Pour in some oil and spread around then put in dough and let rise.

Plonis

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 11:19 pm
Are garbage bags FDA approved for direct food contact?

beckster

Post Fri, Jul 23 2010, 12:59 am
I leave it in a big bowl and put the bowl into a garbage bag. I fluff it up so the dough doesn't actually touch it but it gets to sweat in it and it rises beautifully.

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Jul 23 2010, 1:00 am
garbage bags are coated with something treif, and shouldn't be used for food that is hot or wet. from the Pesach Digest by Rabbi Avraham Blumenkrantz z"l. probably not so healthy either.
I cover my challah dough with a towel, and it rises quickly enough. I also make sure to put in enough yeast Wink

louche

Post Fri, Jul 23 2010, 9:02 am
Plonis wrote:

No they are not. Not at all, at all. Please do NOT use this method unless you are using bags approved for food contact. Even if you think you're leaving plenty of air space so the dough won't touch the bag, the dough may rise firther than you expect or the bag may collapse.

There's nothing magic about the method: the bag simply holds in the heat and speeds up the rising. If you have an oven with a pilot light it will be just as effective if not more so. In this heat, using the bag would be overkill. But if you're enamored of the idea, cut up a few large food storage bags and tape them together into one big bag. Although I don't know why you would bother, unless you have a very cold kitchen.

Mommy3.5

Post Fri, Jul 23 2010, 9:50 am
Plonis wrote:

of course, do you throw the food garbage into a ziplock first?? LOL

Liba

Post Fri, Jul 23 2010, 9:58 am
If you are worried about the plastic contacting the dough place a towel on the dough and then put the bowl (covered) into the bag.

I find my dough comes out much nicer when it is covered in plastic and doesn't dry out.

anonymom

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 9:33 pm
I don't use the bags sold as garbage bags because they always smell like something even if they are not scented and they say not for food. I do use the large bags you get in stores. I save the large ones for this purpose. I don't know if this is recommended but that is what I do.

workaholicmama

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 9:52 pm
I just cover the bowl with a towel, (or two if I think its too cold...) and it rises beautifully.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 9:58 pm
I oil my dough and then cover it in saran wrap. It does the same thing and is food grade.

blueberrypie

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 9:59 pm
I put the bowl (or tin) on top of my oven with my oven set to about 375 degrees, then I cover the dough with parchment paper (so it won't stick to the towel), with a squeezed out wet towel on top of the parchment paper, always works (bli ayin horah!!)

mommyla

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 10:55 pm
anonymom wrote:
I don't use the bags sold as garbage bags because they always smell like something even if they are not scented and they say not for food. I do use the large bags you get in stores. I save the large ones for this purpose. I don't know if this is recommended but that is what I do.

Nooooo! Whatever you bought in the store that day was manhandled by who knows how many people, and the germs went straight onto the inside of the bag.

I have a SIL who tosses salad in shopping bags, and I will never touch a salad in her house.

belovedaz

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 11:20 pm
mommyla wrote:
Nooooo! Whatever you bought in the store that day was manhandled by who knows how many people, and the germs went straight onto the inside of the bag.

I have a SIL who tosses salad in shopping bags, and I will never touch a salad in her house.

that is seriously gross. I was turned off from seeing someone toss salad in a zip lock bag but this ten times worse!!!

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 11:23 pm
I heard about the garbage bags for dough rising but couldn't bring myself to do it.

Instead I use a plastic disposable table cloth and that works well.

But I think the trick is really how you are handling the yeast when preparing the dough. Lately I've been proofing the yeast and I think that is what is making the challahs come out so nice.

BrachaBatya

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 11:26 pm
Just say no. It's not food grade plastic. Don't put those chemicals so close to your food. Use something that is safe for food - Saran Wrap, parchment paper, a clean cotton towel, a dough rising with a lid (that's what I use).

animeme

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 12:06 am
Instead, put the dough in your microwave, off. Just shut the door. It creates the same type of sealed, warm atmosphere and speeds things up.

zaq

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 12:11 am
Listen to BrachaBatya. PLEASE don't allow anything but food-grade plastic to touch your food. And not all food-grade plastic can be used in all situations. for example, styrofoam harbors germs and should never be reused. PETE should never be reused or used with hot foods because when heated or exposed to sunlight it release toxic compounds into the food. If you keep bottled water lying around in your car in hot weather, you should discard the water. The bottles can get quite hot, and that makes the water unsafe to drink. (Clear plastic bottles and jars that look like glass are usually PETE.) HDPE should be used only with cold liquids because it, too, breaks down when heated.

Unless plastic film is sold by a reputable firm (I don't trust merchandise from China) for use as a food wrap, assume that it is not safe to use in that manner.

5mom

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 6:53 am
I use a large bowl that has a snap on cover. It works wonderfully. Also great for when I make a ton of popcorn and want to keep it fresh.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jan 02 2015, 6:59 am
I leave some in the bowl and put some in one or two large ziplock bags.

(what is wrong with using new ziplocks for salad???)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads