Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
My house still smells like smoke

amother

Post Tue, Jan 06 2015, 9:06 am
I put a pot of macaroni up for the kids' dinner when they came home. I uncovered it when it boiled, ran to do a couple of things, and somehow forgot to take it off the stove before I left for my appointment. Two hours later, when my high school daughters came home, they called me to tell me the house was smoky and the smoke alarm was going off.

Other than charred macaroni and a ruined pot, everyone is fine and the house is fine except for being smoky. I hereby publicly give thanks to Hashem for keeping us all safe, as well as our home. It could have gone so, so badly.

The lingering smoke smell reminds me to be more careful in the future. Because I am by nature forgetful, I will expand my use of my phone alarm and timer to remind me about food on the stove when I may not be in the kitchen.

Any practical suggestions to get rid of the smell of the smoke on a freezing, windy day are welcome!

amother

Post Tue, Jan 06 2015, 9:20 am
Btdt. The best remedy is to just open up your windows really wide for about an hour.The fact that it's windy outside actually works in your favor; it allows better air circulation. Just wear your coat to keep warm!

kollel wife

Post Tue, Jan 06 2015, 11:18 am
Even after airing -
Cook or bake something else - eg fry onions or bake a cake and you'll replace this smell with a new one.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics