Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Dd taking medical marijuana
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 4:03 am
[quote="amother"]I'm sorry but as a survivor of s-z abuse, and also someone who has severe depression and anxiety ( who cannot take meds) and is still suffering ( even with therapy) I say bring on the pot!
I am not someone who advocates smoking it at all- I hate both smoking and drugs! BUT in this case, if it's bringing your daughter relief then leave her alone!
Therapy is not a great cure all ( u see that yourself, since you say she's had plenty of it) & neither is meds ( why are you so convinced of their safety? Have you read about their side effects?) trust me, there is no getting away from the hell that abuse wreaks. You cannot begin to imagine what it does to a person, esp if it was your ex doing it to her. Please, just leave her alone. Let her enjoy the relief she has.[/quote]

have you ever tried psychotropic meds? I take and they are fine and the few side-effects went away after a few days.

just for clarity, my ex is her step-father (it may not make much difference)

I don't know about the "relief" thing via the marijuana...

do you have any children?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 4:05 am
mille wrote:
It's medication. She's not wasting her life away smoking pot all day for funsies.

Yes, she should also be in therapy. And you should encourage that. Or, strong arm her into it. As someone else said, who is paying for her medication? If it's you, you have a lot more say in asking her to go to a therapist.

If you don't like the smell, tell her to smoke in her room with the window open. It doesn't help totally, but helps some. Or she can find a method to eat it instead of smoke. I'd make a suggestion, but I feel like it'll just get the thread locked... Although I'm sure google searching about edibles will help.

Previous poster who suggested SSRIs, SSRIs are only effective for depression/anxiety with a specific cause.

If you are worried about how this will affect your daughter developmentally, bring it up with the doctor. There have been studies done about the affects of marijuana on the developing brain, but a big factor here is quantity and frequency. The studies, to my knowledge, have been primarily correlational studies, so causation might not be able to be determined.

op here: she admits she also uses it when bored or for recreation.

It seems a lot of you out there think that she went to her regular "straight" doctor for the "prescription". sorry guys, but that's not what's going on in this city. There are doctors who have special "clinics" and will give the prescription for just about any complaint.

since I've posted, she has been smoking more regularly and more than once a day. I am so angry and frustrated.

Sure, you all, and she, tell me to be unconditional. I can't seem to do that. I told her that what bothers me is that she is "using any substance" it could be doughnuts or alcohol. it is using something to avoid.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Jan 07 2015, 4:17 am; edited 1 time in total

imaima

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 4:17 am
change this to amother

amother

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 4:41 am
Barbara wrote:
Yes, medical marijuana is usually smoked.

It is a known treatment for Crohns, so I'd have to guess that it is medically indicated for IBS as well. It is also a known treatment for migraines. So I've little question that it was properly prescribed.

OP. psychotropic drugs aren't going to do anything for IBS. They're not going to do anything for migraines. They may or may not help her anxiety, although I strongly suspect that marijuana will do so as well. You seem more worried about the "stigma" of people knowing that your daughter -- what, that she's taking a prescription drug -- than anything else. You'd rather have her take psychotropic drugs -- which you don't mention having been prescribed in all of the years of therapy she's had, don't explain who would help her physical issues, and don't address the problems with -- because they're more "acceptable."

We're only just beginning to understand the medical benefits of marijuana. Did you see the TED talk on the effect of THC on seizure disorders? How its saved lives?

Let her give it a try before you criticize. How about telling her she needs to open the window AND use a smokeless ashtray. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UT.....0eq_b
all of the reviews of the ashtrays say they don't really work. If you know of one that does, let me know please.

I don't like the condescending tone about the psychotropic meds. I take them and have for a long time. The benefits of meds over the pot are: one doesn't walk around with a stoned affect, there isn't a likelihood to misuse the meds bkz you don't just take it when feeling some distress. Ie instead of learning to manage a panic attack, boredom, loneliness, using mindfulness/yoga for the ibs or monitoring the diet, etc. she just smokes. Its just that meds aren't as fun as pot.

she is using more frequently and that bothers me. I want to emphasize that it isn't the pot per se that bothers me, it is the "using" that bothers me.

I will admit that the pot might be a better choice for migranes though.

she also has asthma. should she be smoking? I know she likes to smoke rather than take the marijuana another way. (someone was making kosher eatables here to accomodate the frum users. my dd said the rabbis ran him out of town.)

The reason she doesn't want to try meds is not a fair reason for not: she took them just before and at the peak of a crisis (when she disclosed about the abuse) and the drugs she tried weren't a good match. That doesn't mean another one would be a better .
and btw, ssri's can help with IBS. There are studies on that.

she has been talking about making aliyah. I told her that she needs to find alternatives to her pot use since its illegal in EY.

chevi1

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 5:20 am
You say she takes it when depressed as well... I thought marijuana magnified whatever mood ur in rather than just give a high, so wouldn't she just feel deeper depression?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)