Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
No heat for 12 hours....would you call 311?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 7:47 pm
Our building didn't have steam on for the past twelve hours. Landlord knew its broken but didn't answer his phones or door until like seven in the eve. Heat went on at ten p.m. would you report to 311? About thirty families live here with abunch of little kids.....imagine...

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 7:50 pm
I'm sorry you're so cold! Can you get some space heaters in the meantime? If everyone huddled in one room you could warm it up in there.

Not sure why this is a halachic discussion, though. Scratching Head

amother

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 7:54 pm
Of course I would, though I wouldn't wait till the heat has finally come on! What's the point of that? That's what 311 is for--not that it's going to help you much. They get thousands of calls a day about heat alone, not to mention everything else from car alarms to broken sidewalks. From my perspectve I don't see that 311 does much. Every time I've reported a problem whether it's lack of heat or something else, I get a case # and some months later a letter telling me it was resolved. Which so far had been, every time, an outright lie. The conditions I report continue. Except for the heat, since by the time I get a response, it's summer.

BlueRose52

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 7:56 pm
It won't matter. Complaints to 311 are for existing problems. They won't really care about something that WAS a problem. But you should definitely call if a problem exists. Calling 311 doesn't get anyone in trouble. It just gives the landlord a kick in the butt to take care of the issue. Because if they don't take care of it, it then turns into a violation, which they can get a major fine for.

I once had a broken buzzer issue that I complained to the landlord about for months. Finally, I got fed up and called 311. They fixed it the next day.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 8:00 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I'm sorry you're so cold! Can you get some space heaters in the meantime? If everyone huddled in one room you could warm it up in there.

Not sure why this is a halachic discussion, though. Scratching Head

I assume OP's landlord is a frum jew and she's wondering if reporting him is mesirah.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 8:10 pm
amother wrote:
I assume OP's landlord is a frum jew and she's wondering if reporting him is mesirah.

I'm pretty sure that putting the lives of small children in danger trumps mesirah.

KollelWife3

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 8:15 pm
Brutal!!!

That must have been a HARD few hours.

I would've done WHATEVER it takes to warm up little babies.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 8:36 pm
I guess that if the landlord is a Jew, you can take him to a Din Torah to recover part of the rent. I remember when one of my children had just had the first baby and when she was a month old, the heat went out. I called a nearby appliance store, ordered a space heater and had it delivered. This saved the baby from the cold. It was lucky that they had some in stock so I think I will remind all of my NY kids to buy one before they need it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions