Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Messed Up W/ CIO, Can I Retry?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 3:51 am
amother wrote:
OP here.

Some questions about CIO. I did it last night and wasn't sure about a few things. Disclaimer: I have not finished Ferber yet, but read the main parts.

A. How is the waiting period calculated?

This is what my baby often does. She will cry. So I wait 5 mins. before the first visit (Ferber, day #2) . But, often, after 2 mins. of crying, she will calm down and start playing and making noises. Then 2 mins. later, she'll start crying. Do I visit her 5 mins. from the first cry or the last cry? Or does she have to be crying 5 mins. consecutively before I visit her.

B. Ferber says to gradually delay the night-time feedings by a half an hr. each night. But, lets say my baby wakes up a half an hr. before she's due to feed per Ferber. I do CIO, first 5 mins., then 10, then 10... but then, in the middle of the second 10, it's time to eat! Do I take the baby out and feed her or does that disrupt CIO as she might think that her crying caused me to take her out? She is hungry as she's used to eating very often at night. What am I supposed to do?

Same amother.

It sounds like she doesn't know how to put herself back to sleep. So she knows to cry, then she figures out she is up and can talk now, and then she cries again.
I would wait it out from her last cry.
Also, does she sound annoyed or hysterical? Sometimes you just know that they are in pain because they sound so desperate, and sometimes they just wimper.

amother

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 5:52 am
amother wrote:
I am the amother who has been replying to you.
Frankly speaking I have never done ferber because it sounds too complicated and artificial. I did weissbluth though, before I learned to trust my gut.
I think, if it's time for the feeding you come in to feed her. She will have learned that even if nursing is not happening at every wimper,t will happen eventually, so she will get used to it.
Also, weissbluth is not so strict with feedinga by minute. if she wakes up 20 min earlier, it's not such a big deal in his book. Kids are not robots to this extent!

Who is Weissbluth? What book did he write? Thank you for the nursing advice. I didn't know what to do. I really want to feed her once it's the right time even if she's crying. It's hard enough that she's not eating every 2-2.5 hrs. like she's used to. But, I am asking b/c I feel like I have to do it right b/c it would be really upsetting if it doesn't work b/c I wasn't consistent and all that crying was for nothing.

amother

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 5:55 am
I did CIO with my baby too but only when they were old enough to put paci back in by themselves. How does it work when they cant? Are you trying to train your baby to also sleep withouta paci?

amother

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 6:07 am
amother wrote:
I did CIO with my baby too but only when they were old enough to put paci back in by themselves. How does it work when they cant? Are you trying to train your baby to also sleep withouta paci?

Yup! That's what Ferber says to do. It's tough! I am hoping she'll find her hand. But, even if not, be"H she'll learn to sleep w/o it. I think that sucking is important, but the paci was not working. She would spit it out and wake up w/ it not there or before she went to sleep, she would also spit it out probably just for fun before she fell asleep to get us to come in.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics