Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Busy/Lazy Is a Break From Solids OK?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 3:25 pm
I recently started my baby on solids. She is really enjoying the food and is accepting it well. The only problem is that I don't always have the time or patience to feed her. Is it OK if she gets solids some days and others only breast-milk or do I need to work harder on being consistent?

SingALong

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 4:08 pm
I've done it. Especially in the beginning when he was just playing with the food with his tongue and not really eating (about age 5-6 months). At that point he was fine with skipping solids here or thre and only nursing.

Now he's older at age 9 1/2 months there's no way I can skip he eats daily 2 jars plus baby cereal plus bread plus Cheerios. I think I couple of times I skipped and only nursed he ended up waking up a lot that night.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 6:07 pm
Put the food on her tray and let her feed herself. Many babies prefer it anyway.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 2:20 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
Put the food on her tray and let her feed herself. Many babies prefer it anyway.

The issue is not feeding her. It's more preparing the food. Which I would still have to do. I also don't have a hichair yet, so I feed her in her stroller. I'm not buying jarred stuff yet b/c she's just starting. I made a bunch of carrot mash and put it in the freezer. That worked, but I had to remember to defrost it. Now, I'm doing a lot of cereal, but it takes time to cool and I like to give it to her when she's in a good mood and that s/ts passes while I am waiting. Maybe the solution would be to give her food earlier in the day. But, some days it just doesn't work.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 3:52 am
If she's just starting, then there's no harm in taking breaks. DO get that high chair soon though, it will save your sanity.

Get a plastic shower curtain to go down under it, and cleanup will be a snap (unless you have dogs, in which case there will be nothing left to clean up! Very Happy )

amother

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 4:22 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
If she's just starting, then there's no harm in taking breaks. DO get that high chair soon though, it will save your sanity.

Get a plastic shower curtain to go down under it, and cleanup will be a snap (unless you have dogs, in which case there will be nothing left to clean up! Very Happy )

Good idea! and lol about the dogs. We don't have, but they can be so useful some times Smile

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 5:54 am
If jars aren't an option, would you be opened to giving food you prepare or buy already for yourself?
I don't (or hardly) "cook for the baby".

amother

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 5:56 am
Ruchel wrote:
If jars aren't an option, would you be opened to giving food you prepare or buy already for yourself?
I don't (or hardly) "cook for the baby".

That would be a good option if they don't have salt which is rare b/c we love salt! The chicken soup (would love to give her that) has salt just from the chicken! BTW, (side point) when can I start giving her reg. foods (that obviously have salt)? She's 6 mos. now.

Keeping myself anonymous just b/c I am embaressed that I'm such a lazy mom! If you saw who I was, don't hold it against me Smile

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 6:44 am
What's wrong with a baby having a bit of salt? What Everyone needs electrolytes. Just make sure she gets some potassium in there like bananas to balance it out.

LOL about the dogs all you want. I had 3 little dogs at one point, and they all learned to line up at the edge of the high chair tray and wait for DD to drop things down to them. We had to watch her to make sure that some of the food actually made it into her mouth, and make sure that the dogs were kept out of the room while she was eating. I'm still not sure who trained who, DD or the dogs!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 6:55 am
Separate her portion before salting to your taste, if you salt a ton. If not, imho it's fine.

No problem with being lazy, I'm soooo lazy lol that's one of the reasons I like child led weaning (that and the adorable videos! ).

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 7:23 am
You can start giving real foods now. Just don't give anything that she can choke on, and be aware that some foods are more difficult than others for babies to digest, so you want to start off with lighter foods until she gets used to it.

imaima

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 7:29 am
You can start regular food, as others have mentioned, but you better get used to the fact that it will need cooling, mashing, or other type of preparing. Nothing will be as easy as popping the breast in anymore...

amother

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 7:30 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
What's wrong with a baby having a bit of salt? What Everyone needs electrolytes. Just make sure she gets some potassium in there like bananas to balance it out.

LOL about the dogs all you want. I had 3 little dogs at one point, and they all learned to line up at the edge of the high chair tray and wait for DD to drop things down to them. We had to watch her to make sure that some of the food actually made it into her mouth, and make sure that the dogs were kept out of the room while she was eating. I'm still not sure who trained who, DD or the dogs!

I come from a dog family too Smile I've seen dogs eat challah and chulent! We joke that maybe they were Jewish in their last life.

spinkles

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 9:24 am
I used to roast sweet potatoes and butternut squash for dh and me, and it was easy to mash some up and thin it for my babies. Bananas were easy too. I never bothered warming up cereal - there's no need. Just mix it up and feed them. Also now they have those pouches of baby food, which taste a lot better than jarred stuff IMHO. Just make yourself a routine - feed her right before you plan to bathe her, then pop her in the bath. Easy! And get the Ikea high chair, which is so easy to clean. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/cata.....7506/

2gether

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 10:58 am
why not make a big pot and freeze ?
freeze in plastic cups and every night take one out to defrost by the morning.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 11:07 am
I think consistency is important but why are jars/pouches not an option if you don't have time to prepare? Use the stage 1.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 4:18 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
I think consistency is important but why are jars/pouches not an option if you don't have time to prepare? Use the stage 1.

Too expensive. She's not eating enough for it to be worth the investment.

Update: I bought a big jar of apple sauce! I noticed that the unsweetened kind has the same ingredients as the baby jars! It's perfect for when I'm lazy b/c it doesn't need to be prepared and I can eat her leftovers (I'm not eating the cereal eww!). I gave her chicken soup on Shabbos which she really enjoyed (even the chicken). She would not eat challah though... I think she likes being spoonfed. I am going to start looking into high-chairs cuz I think that will be more fun and will encourage her to pick up things and eat them. (Is 6 mos. too early for this.) And might possibly keep her busy. Also, I don't want her stroller to get all dirty.

imaima

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 4:26 pm
amother wrote:
Too expensive. She's not eating enough for it to be worth the investment.

Update: I bought a big jar of apple sauce! I noticed that the unsweetened kind has the same ingredients as the baby jars! It's perfect for when I'm lazy b/c it doesn't need to be prepared and I can eat her leftovers (I'm not eating the cereal eww!). I gave her chicken soup on Shabbos which she really enjoyed (even the chicken). She would not eat challah though... I think she likes being spoonfed. I am going to start looking into high-chairs cuz I think that will be more fun and will encourage her to pick up things and eat them. (Is 6 mos. too early for this.) And might possibly keep her busy. Also, I don't want her stroller to get all dirty.

High-chair is the place where to feed her now. It is not too early.

gp2.0

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 7:30 pm
Babies can eat whatever their parents eat when they're ready for food. It's a myth that they can't have salt, spices, whatever. Chicken soup with soft squash and carrots and tiny pieces of chicken remains one of the best foods to feed babies. (You can puree it if you're worried about the sizes of the chicken.)

Oh and it's totally fine to skip solids this early when they're still nursing full time. The reason for feeding at this point is to get them used to tastes and textures and the movement of chewing and swallowing something other than liquid. It's not necessary for nutrition at this point.

nyc123

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 10:01 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Babies can eat whatever their parents eat when they're ready for food. It's a myth that they can't have salt, spices, whatever.

They can have a lot of the foods their parents eat, and they can and often enjoy various spices, but it's NOT a myth that they can't have salt. Added salt is dangerous to babies because their kidneys have not yet matured enough to be able to handle it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics