Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Thought Provoking Songs Like Cats In The Cradle
Previous  1  2  3

debsey

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 2:31 pm
Undefined wrote:
Just as an aside, I recently learned that cats in the cradle was actually a letter/poem to Harry Chapin from his wife, she sent it to him when he was out of town as he often was. Such a great lesson, he took it to heart and made a song out of it.

That song makes me cry. Every.Single.Time. I.Hear.It. And I'm not a crier!

centurion

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 2:40 pm
I don't really know secular music but Country Yossi's "deaf man in the shteeble" is based on "blind man in the bleachers."
Someone else mentioned abie rothenberg, his songs are very narrative. The ones that I think have the most universal message are "who am I" about having special needs, and "memories" which has a religious conclusion (is mentioning Gd a problem?) but is mainly about history.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 2:47 pm
bridge over troubled water

now that's emotion

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 3:02 pm
beatles
imagine all the people
yesterday

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 3:03 pm
tapestry

sequoia

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 3:05 pm
Simon and Garfunkel -- The Boxer

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 3:06 pm
fire & rain ~ james taylor

or anything he sings

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 3:12 pm
creedence ~ have you ever seen the rain

PAMOM

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 3:18 pm
Bob Marley songs.

Grandma 1

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 7:25 pm
Many of Jacques Brel's songs, from " Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris". (The Old Folks, Timid Frieda... ) Leonard Cohen songs.
Warning: Some of you may be uncomfortable with some of the lyrics, but their music is poetic and beautiful.

Grandma 1

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 7:32 pm
Jim Croce songs...
I'm really enjoying this thread!

imasinger

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 8:53 pm
debsey wrote:
Part of an ongoing class on narrative therapy approaches. We're going to talk about how our minds fill in the unspoken 'backstory' narrative of the song - we have a picture in our minds of the father and son in Cats In The Cradle, for example. How does the melody enhance/detract from the narrative aspect of the song? Can you continue the story?

That is going to segue into - look how our continuations of the story are different - there's how our life histories influence our understanding of others.

I was musing on this over Shabbos. Interesting how the structure and performance of a song add to the image of the narrative backstory.

Performance in that the timing, delivery, and tone quality of the singer(s) affect the emotional impact of the song, and thereby, the listener's imagining.

Structure in that a regular meter and rhyme structure engage a listener and draw the brain to a conclusion that might not seem as inevitable outside of our tendency to like the completion of rhyming verse and musical phrase hanging on the dominant ("so"), or returnng to the tonic ("do").

I think part of the songwriter/performer's intention is to create a shared imagined experience, where many listeners come away with a similar picture. Even if you never had a rigid teacher like the one in "Flowers are Red", you probably recognize the stereotype.

When listening to a personal narrative, we also project our own experiences, of course, but there may be more wiggle room.

It would be interesting to create a narrative, ask the group to fill in impressions, play a song, fill in a second set of impression questions, and then have a second narrative, and a third set of questions. How do people's impressions change?

Would it matter if you listened to a CD of "You're So Vain" in the car before seeing a client with a narcissistic partner, even if you never had any firsthand experience with such characters?

Thanks for giving me interesting material to think about! I'll be curious to hear how the class goes.

PinkFridge

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 10:15 pm
Thanks, Greenfire, and sorry OP for ignoring that bit about "changing perspective." The songs I mentioned are great (and shoutout to Sequoia for The Boxer) but I don't know how much they change my perspective exactly. Or serve as a wake up call, like Cat's in the Cradle.

If you would like to let us know what you ultimately choose, I'm sure I'm not the only one interested.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics