Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Gerus question for those in Chicago. Please help!

chica

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 4:24 pm
Can anyone enlighten me on how the gerus process works in Chicago? Do all Orthodox conversions go through the vaad (crc)? Or are they done by the individual shuls? Thanks!

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 5:41 pm
I've never heard of individual shuls handling geirus; certainly the vast majority go through the Chicago Rabbinical Council (cRc). I think (but am not sure) though that I have heard of occasionally cases handled by Rabbi Fuerst (Agudah dayan).

chica

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 5:45 pm
thank you! Basically I was told that my brother's girlfriend is going through a conversion but I have not been told any other details. I'm being told that it is Orthodox but they don't think it is going though the vaad. I'll have to do some research Very Happy

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 5:55 pm
chica wrote:
thank you! Basically I was told that my brother's girlfriend is going through a conversion but I have not been told any other details. I'm being told that it is Orthodox but they don't think it is going though the vaad. I'll have to do some research Very Happy

It is possible that it is still Orthodox; that the shul (cRc member) Rav is handling it and the actual geirus will go through the cRc beis din. Just get the details.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 6:05 pm
We have a chabad house in the Chicago area. When we see people really serious we do it thru the crc.
There was someone that wanted his girl friend to convert and my dh told him he first has to stop working on shabbos them they can talk, so they went to a different rabbi (sorry, I don't remember who ) he was supposedly orthodox and told the guy he should start wearing tzitzes, and ended up converting the girl not they the crc.
They belong to a conservative synagogue...

So you might want to find out the orthodox rabbi and make sure the conversion will be kosher

chica

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 6:17 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
It is possible that it is still Orthodox; that the shul (cRc member) Rav is handling it and the actual geirus will go through the cRc beis din. Just get the details.

Gotcha. Well as long as the final geirus is done by the cRc then we're all good. Very Happy

chica

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 6:18 pm
amother wrote:
We have a chabad house in the Chicago area. When we see people really serious we do it thru the crc.
There was someone that wanted his girl friend to convert and my dh told him he first has to stop working on shabbos them they can talk, so they went to a different rabbi (sorry, I don't remember who ) he was supposedly orthodox and told the guy he should start wearing tzitzes, and ended up converting the girl not they the crc.
They belong to a conservative synagogue...

So you might want to find out the orthodox rabbi and make sure the conversion will be kosher

Could you pm me?

silbergirl

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 2:38 am
It works on a referring rabbi basis and the actual giur is I think handed over. I know a girl who had her classes with a popular Chicago modern ortho rabbi but then I think went to the RCA beis din branch for the actual testing and mikvah. I think thats how it usually works, most ppl never really have a lot of contact with the beis din until theyre ready to dip.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions