Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
ISO Warm Yeshivish Men's coat

amother

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 1:16 am
hi all,

my poor, cold DH has been trudging around in close to freezing temps in a wool coat with torn lining that only buttons down until his waist, leaving the bottom flapping in the wind, and his legs cold. for years now.

he is finally agreeing to get a new coat.
here is what he wants:
• warm
• long
• a hood that covers his black hat
(• preferably yeshivish looking…)

where do we get such a thing?
we're in lakewood, but would be happy to buy online. and as for price, we are a kollel family, so not looking for the most expensive coat on the market, but can spend some money to keep ourselves warm.

thanks!!

watergirl

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 9:09 am
Go to Burlington. Find a coat in your budget that meets the warm and long criteria. Forget the hood fitting over the hat - unless its one of those shane coats, I don't think he'll find one for any price. Get him a warm scarf and one of those bands that will cover his forehead and ears.

As far as looking yeshivish - I don't even know what that means. A good coat in your price range will do just fine. I thought that men immersed in full time Torah were supposed to be "above" the stereotypes of what a coat should and shouldn't look like. Go to Burlington. Get something warm, with pockets, and a head band. You want yeshivish? Get it in black. He'll be a lot warmer and more prepared for a long, cold winter then those other guys who are concerned with the "look".

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 9:28 am
He can probably get some good ideas if he asks men that he sees wearing coats that fit that description.

(Do they really make hoods large enough to cover a black hat? Wouldn't a hood that large be pointless for the rest of the population of men?)

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 9:50 am
DejaNew for men

amother

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 1:01 pm
watergirl wrote:
Go to Burlington. Find a coat in your budget that meets the warm and long criteria. Forget the hood fitting over the hat - unless its one of those shane coats, I don't think he'll find one for any price. Get him a warm scarf and one of those bands that will cover his forehead and ears.

As far as looking yeshivish - I don't even know what that means. A good coat in your price range will do just fine. I thought that men immersed in full time Torah were supposed to be "above" the stereotypes of what a coat should and shouldn't look like. Go to Burlington. Get something warm, with pockets, and a head band. You want yeshivish? Get it in black. He'll be a lot warmer and more prepared for a long, cold winter then those other guys who are concerned with the "look".

OP here:
maybe I am being too sensitive, but I felt a bit attacked by the tone of your statement about being above stereotypes. why was that needed or helpful? DH and I live simply; our kids aren't matching, we hardly buy anything new, and if we do its second hand- his current coat is 7+ years old and lining is literally in shreds. he isn't trying to keep up with, or impress anybody, just not look out of place. I think that is basic social normalcy. he actually does wear a head band already, (even though it doesn't look yeshivish,) which helps. but he is still very cold.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 1:04 pm
OP again:
MaBelleVie and naturalmom5-

Good suggestions,

Thanks!

kollel wife

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 1:28 pm
I would recommend Mr. Price - I think that's what it's called - it's Hat Boxes' sale store on route 9, I think same Plaza as Wine on the 9.

I was there and bought shoes for a teen age boy for a very good price and saw a mother buying a coat also for a teenager there - and the price sounded very good.

I think it's worth a try as it's local and rather than the internet you can try it on for fit (same with Burlington just a shorter drive.) You selection will be all wool/black coats unlike Burlington.

Would he wear a down coat?- my husband did for a long time until it tore too much. It was black and plain, looked pretty yeshivishe.

I don't know where the "hefker" coats/hats etc are from BMG but we've gotten some very good things there too - your husband can find out about that.

I would recommend a hat a bit like a Russian fur hat - not sure how to describe

ruchelbuckle

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 3:04 pm
I think I know what you mean by "yeshivish"-- you want something that looks dignified.

The Lands End Commuter coat is probably what you're looking for. Go to any kollel/beis medrash in a cold climate (Chicago, Detroit, Boston), etc... and you will see a ton of them on the coat rack.

they are not cheap, but assuming you husband is not particularly fashion conscious, its a great investment. My husband has his for close to 10 years.

kb

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 1:29 pm
If you're still looking, try this one:

http://www.josbank.com/menswea.....88588
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics