Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Why do all Jewish picture books need to rhyme???
Previous  1  2

zaq

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 7:17 pm
Fox wrote:
I would be willing to overlook the forced rhymes and often non-existent meter if it were confined to children's books.

But why must invitations to showers, bas mitzvahs, and Chinese auctions rhyme? And usually so badly? Really, it's perfectly okay to say, "Please join us for a bridal shower in honor of Malkie."

Not to mention my pet peeves on imamother, the Thank You Note, Gift Accompaniment Note and Mishloach Ma-Note. (Better a bad pun than a bad rhyme, any day.)

mandr

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 7:37 pm
You call that rhyming?

Sorry, but "rhyming" doesn't rhyme with "sing", for example.

I thought of writing a kids' book with limericks instead of AABB or ABCB rhyme schemes. But I figured nobody would buy it since they wouldn't know the meter - because previous Jewish kids' books literature trained them to read the poetry a certain way Wink

amother

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 7:41 pm
we dislike rhyming books very much but appreciate a good children's story. If we end up sitting down to a rhyming book then I reword it so it reads more like a story. I hope publishers will see this!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 6:39 am
Scotty wrote:
Because life does not have enough suffering in it, obviously.

Good to hear from you.
I really think that when you run out of ideas, Shortchanged can become a libretto.
In rhyme, of course.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 6:58 am
I read this thread and then read ds "Labels for Laibel". I think the Yossi and Laibel books are very well done. However, many other Jewish books are not. one of my favorites was Shimmy the youngest, which didn't rhyme, but had poems that Shimmy made up in it. Unfortunately, it is out of print, so my children never got to read it. Very sad.

"Is it Shabbos yet?" is a classic that doesn't rhyme. My kids all love that as toddlers/preschoolers.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room