Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Keeping food warm for 2 meals

acemom

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 2:15 pm
I see many people do a crock pot meal for Shabbos lunch. What about keeping food hot for Friday night?
Right now, we are doing a blech for Friday night and crockpot for lunch but it seems like a waste of gas besides for heating up the kitchen.
Any other suggestions?

Does it make sense to use a double slow cooker like this? http://www.walmart.com/msharbo.....h=sem

sky

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 2:21 pm
2 crock pots sounds like a great idea. Keep in mind that crockpots made by many companies turn off after 20 hours. So if you make it in advance you have to remember to reset before shabbos.
Most options look small like 1 - 3 QT. I make my cholent in a larger size.
I know there is a double crock pot made by a Jewish company but it is expensive.
http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Mi.....CKOXK

tigerwife

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 2:27 pm
I put all of my food for Friday night in the oven right before Shabbos. Make sure the oven is on a 'keep warm' temperature (around 100c). Then, I set the timer to turn the oven off around the time DH makes Kiddush/ serve the fish.
Everything is preheated, including boiling the soup before Shabbos. Everything is hot when served.

questioner

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 2:28 pm
We use a blech in the winter when I don't mind the extra heat. In the summer I heat everything up and right before Shabbos, pile it all up and wrap it together (in a towel and a blanket). It stays warm enough until the seuda.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 2:32 pm
We use a plata on a timer. Its on from when shabbat starts for about 2 hours or so on friday night and then from about 10 - 1 on shabbat day. Thats it.

sky

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 4:14 pm
For Friday night I put everything in the oven before shabbos with the oven on high. Then right before shabbos I turn it off.
The soup I wrap in about 2 - 3 bath towels. Everything stays warm. The soup stays hot. I don't leave anything on for Friday night.

Alternatively you can put your cholent in the oven (no crock pot) and leave that on all shabbos.

Smile1234

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 4:38 pm
Soup goes on an electric hotplate on a timer, and everything else goes into the oven and gets turned off right before shkiah.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note