Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
One DD has gone vegetarian
Previous  1  2

greenfire

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 1:47 pm
you can explore the massive veggies out there that most of the carnivores don't think abo0ut on a daily basis ... large portabella mushrooms can be served up like a steak when broiled with soy sauce & garlic & eaten with a fork & knife

chick peas
bean varieties are full of protein if you like them
all sort of nuts
grilled veggies
steamed & raw veggies
fruits & dried fruits

if you will add the cheese & eggs & fish ... she'll survive as will you

& I totally wish I could be a vegetarian - in my heart I am ... then I feel like I would starve so the meat goes in - so long as I don't associate it with a sitting duck iykwim

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 2:19 pm
My family was vegetarian until my DD was about 12. It's not hard to eat healthy meals with exciting tastes without animal flesh. I primarily eat vegetarian for health reasons and convenience even though I have a huge chicken in the oven today.

Eemaof3

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 11:14 pm
Thank you all!! This is why I turned here. (I do apologize for not replying sooner but tonight is the first I have been on here.)
Rejecting fish but likes eggs and cheese. Loves roasted veggies and chickpeas. Will definitely try curry since she likes when I make chicken curry. She is willing to try tofu (I made a sweet and sour tofu Sunday night which she thought was "good" (but did not eat more of) while ds1 and I loved it). I have to copy all your thoughts down later. Great idea for a pareve/dairy crockpot.
You are wonderful ladies!!

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 11:49 pm
Try freezing firm tofu in its container without draining. Defrost in a day or two and then squeeze out all of the water by hand. The consistency will now be similar to a dried out old sponge. This tofu is now ready to fry and use for enchiladas or tacos. I shred it fry it and also use it on salads or noodles or make sloppy joes.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 12:32 am
I just got an email from a vegetarian friend, and she was responding to an article I fwd-ed her, saying she'd love to try these dishes... here is the article http://www.aish.com/f/r/Vegeta......html

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 1:28 am
I may have heard that rice and beans are complementary proteins and should be eaten together to get good nourishment.

High fiber bread and butter is good food. She will eat that, from what you say. With herbs and garlic, it becomes interesting.

Egg salad with celery and curry powder is good for you. Mayonnaise is ok for people in moderation.

You can get lots of Goya cans of all sorts of beans, and some brown rice, and an electric rice-maker, and Osem powder, and you will be prepared. Have plenty of cans of olives too.

Have lots of frozen vegs around including corn for color and taste.

Shred plenty of fresh cabbages in the food processor.

She must take her vitamins with iron in them. Acidophilus is good too. And perhaps calcium in moderation too.

All that stuff can be delivered.

If you prefer dried to canned beans, the slow cooker will take care of that, no problem, overnight. No need to presoak. The, olive oil and vinegar, and it's good.

Peanut2

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 10:49 am
I strongly recommend the moosewood cookbooks, especially the cooks at home one(has shorter recipes and other short cuts.) you can also Google recipes from there. Lots of flavor.

I hated tofu when I first became vegetarian but have since learned how to cook it properly. Look for extra firm tofu, or you can buy cubes to add to stir fry, which is one of the easiest things for beginners (with tofu and mushrooms the meal will feel more substantial.)

Peanut2

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 10:53 am
Also if you eat a healthy veggie diet there is no need to vitamins or supplements. Though you can't rely on bread and butter for nutrition any more than a meat-eater. You can speak to your doctor about this. But with dairy, fruits and veg, beans lentils legumes and all the rest, it's perfectly possible to eat very healthy vegetarian food. Also don't forget nuts! I've been vegetarian for so long I don't even remember how other people eat.

Eemaof3

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 2:06 pm
So many great ideas! She'll have her next checkup in May so I hold off on vitamins until then so the doctor can assess how her diet is.
Love the shredded cabbage idea.
I love firm/extra firm tofu and have learned to press out the water.
Will take advantage of the can sales at supermarkets right now to stock up somewhat.
One question -- any insight for Pesach besides tons of eggs?

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 2:08 pm
Eemaof3 wrote:
So many great ideas! She'll have her next checkup in May so I hold off on vitamins until then so the doctor can assess how her diet is.
Will take advantage of the can sales at supermarkets right now to stock up somewhat.

Pesach diets are pretty limited for everyone, vegetarian or not.
Add avocado to the list: it's great with eggs or alone.
Yogurts, cheese, sour cream and bananas, etc. (Noodles and cottage cheese - not Pesach naturally)

water_bear88

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 2:38 pm
Eemaof3 wrote:

Nuts, dairy, and eggs. Does anyone still consider quinoa non-kitniyot?

etky

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 2:40 pm
water_bear88 wrote:
Nuts, dairy, and eggs. Does anyone still consider quinoa non-kitniyot?

Hold it - you're leap frogging over Purim...

water_bear88

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 2:41 pm
etky wrote:

Purim she can still eat all the kitniyot!

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 2:42 pm
etky wrote:

All that junk is vegetarian approved!!!!

amother

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 3:16 pm
We were lacto-ovo vegetarians for years and just stopped eating eggs and dairy. Do you want a few cookbook recommendations? Maybe your DD would enjoy looking through and helping you pick out some things to make. Since she likes chickpeas you might want to try out some Indian, though it does involve getting some spices you probably don't already have. I've never tried a bad recipe from Manjula...here is here bean section: http://www.manjulaskitchen.com.....tils/

Also, get The Southern Vegetarian. http://www.amazon.com/Southern.....arian

This cookbook is amazing! Even though none of us have heart disease I cook from it several times a week. They have a great mashed potato and mushroom gravy recipe I will send you if you want: http://www.amazon.com/Prevent-.....kbook

If you end up liking Manjula's recipes, I would get From Mom With Love, another Indian cookbook. http://www.amazon.com/Mom-love.....+love

I am anon because I have given these recommendations to other people who have asked...

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 3:59 pm
Manjula is fantastic!! Remember too that besan flour (chick pea) is gluten free!!

Tonight I'm having a a Mexican lasagna it can be made with or without cheese. I layer the bottom of an oiled casserole with corn tortillas, I make a layer of beans, spanish rice, sprinkle a bit of cheese, and a few spoonfuls of enchilada sauce, then a layer of tortillas, beans, cheese etc. This freezes well.

Eemaof3

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 4:15 pm
Will definitely look into those cookbooks. Awesome!
Maybe I will do a faux treif seudah for Purim and fool her into thinking I only prepared fleishigs.

Peanut2

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 8:28 pm
Pesach is hard but I've done many years of pesach as a vegetarian, including through pregnancy, and my doctor was okay with me not taking prenatal vitamins over pesach, even. Honestly there is so much food over pesach that I rarely even make matzah pizza, everyone is eating fleishig all the time.
If you keep your meaty dishes limited to 1-2-3, (plus maybe fish, but this also depends on how you cook and how many dishes you serve, I'm thinking big meals here) have an alternative veggie main, and all your sides are veggie, delicious and healthy, she will be fine. No mayo in my house. The main thing is not to make a ton of starchy sides, or just starch and salads, but make sure things are filling and include a protein often enough. It sounds like you are doing great and things will work well. Ime the biggest kashrut challenge is checking for bugs in fruits and vegetables. Time consuming, and cooking veg is more time consuming to begin with.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen