Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Attention all fashionistas!!please Help me dress like a diva!

Chanel

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 10:30 pm
Time sensitive:I know this sounds stupid vain, but it means a lot to me. I'm leaving to California for vaca on Thursday, and I'm feeling awful about myself! I've recently put up a lot of weight - I'm a tall size 16 ( hips and thighs are my big problem areas) and now I gotto " dress up". This is a long awaited vacation, where many of my dh business associates will be joining as well along with their wives. The women are all skinny and fashionable and I must admit I'm feeling quite insecure! Please help me! I'm ready to go on a major shopping spree tomorrow- but honestly I don't know where to start! I feel FAT!!!! I hate myself!!!!! Please skip all the emotional help- I'll deal with that when I get back! Fashion tips only!! Tia!

Miri7

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 10:36 pm
I'm not a fashionista but I do live in CA. Remember that if you are going to be near the coast that it will be cool and you should have layers- it could be warmer inland in areas like Palm Springs.

Also, CA fashion is much less stuffy and formal than East coast fashion. So you can go with some more flowy looks rather than structured clothing.

Good luck and enjoy your visit to CA!

amother

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 10:48 pm
Hmm, I wouldn't call myself much of a fashionista, but as someone with a similar build I'd say accessorize (necklaces, earrings, scarfs) to draw attn away from ur problem areas.
Long cardigans that cover the hips and behind are also great!

amother

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 10:50 pm
get a nice hand bag

Chanel

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 12:23 am
OP here. Thank you everyone. The accessories are a great idea- if you have specifics please share... Colors, styles... Keep em coming, thank you Very Happy

amother

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 12:30 am
A line and flarey skirts, and cinch in your waist with a belt. Although being "all about that bass" is very in now!

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 4:15 am
Would it be an idea to shop locally?

Pay a lot of attention to your head and keep the rest simple and flowing.

Being tall is most of it. Go get 'em, girl.

Be serene, and don't look as if you are trying.

Have an eye for the local flavor. Look around a lot as soon as you get there. Pick up a local magazine.

The hotel concierge can tell you where the fashionable ladies shop. There may be shops in the hotel lobby with what you need.

silbergirl

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 4:25 am
For curvy ladies, solid colors combined with very eye catching accessories (big necklaces, scarves, earrings) work extremely well. If you're tall and curvy you can really pick eyecatching stuff and it looks great (short girls cant wear that).

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 4:54 am
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Would it be an idea to shop locally?

Have an eye for the local flavor. Look around a lot as soon as you get there. Pick up a local magazine.

The hotel concierge can tell you where the fashionable ladies shop. There may be shops in the hotel lobby with what you need.

I wouldn't want to spend my vacation shopping for clothing (but I realize I may be in the minority). And hotel lobbies usually have overpriced clothing with a poor selection.

I'd just pop into a local mall (before I fly), give myself a time limit, and find an outfit that makes me feel fabulous. Check the weather ahead of time so you can anticipate what sort of clothing will be comfortable. Get a nice haircut (or get your sheitel styled) so you feel great.

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 6:45 am
Try Chicos. They have a line of traveling clothes. These clothes come out of the suitcase wrinkle free. Chicos has the flowing style one poster described as well as coordinating jewelry and accessories. Their entire line is made to be flattering to heavier woman.

I used to shop there a lot when I was heavier and got tons of complements when I wore their line. I used to wear the sleeveless shells backwards underneath for a tznius neckline. I was in their store recently and they started a discount program. Because I had signed up for emails at one point in the past, they took a discount off my purchase.

Shoelover

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 9:32 am
Maybe call Nordstrom and tell them what you wrote here and they'll have stuff ready for you to try on. I do it all the time w diff dept stores it's so convenient

Chanel

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 10:03 am
Thank you everyone! Mad shopping day starting now! And shoelover- are you serious? Do they really do that?

Shoelover

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 10:06 am
Yeah I do it all the time! I do it at all major dept stores. I just call ahead, tell them what kinda occasion and give my sizes and tell them what style etc. then when I come they have a whole dressing room for me

amother

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 10:19 am
Get a stunning expensive black skirt and buy a few beautiful sweaters printed tops with solid sweaters very slimming - the stores are full major selections. Good luck

Chanel

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 9:14 am
What is an 'expensive black skirt?'what style would look good on me- yet be fashionable?

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 9:47 am
Chanel wrote:
What is an 'expensive black skirt?'what style would look good on me- yet be fashionable?

here are some links. Check out Nordstrom's online selection.

this is a nice looking leather type skirt, you probably can't wear it during the day in California (that's where you said you're going, right?) but definitely can at night.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/se.....1_4_D

This is a classic pencil skirt, dress it up with nice colored sweaters/tops

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/vi.....1_6_A

this is a metallic/black colorblock pencil skirt, can look really cook with a solid colored top (probably black).
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/my.....1_5_C

Barbara

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 10:06 am
While you can certainly wear "regular" clothes, I'd at least take a look at plus sizes, which will give you a tiny bit of extra room in the hips.

Talbots is having a big sale now. It doesn't scream "diva," but it does scream "well made skirt."

I love love love this one:

http://www.talbots.com/online/.....Woman

And this

http://www.talbots.com/online/.....Woman

Ann Taylor Loft has some very cute tops which should fit well.

http://www.loft.com/textural-s.....=4899

http://www.loft.com/lace-strip.....=0473

I also love this skirt, but its online only

http://www.eloquii.com/mixed-p.....de=30

amother

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 10:36 pm
Taubers look in the phone book they're in Boro Park have very fine classy skirts S&W Brendas also. Once you wear a fine good skirt it just makes the outfit. Years ago people wrote 2pcs. suits - everything came with matching skirts. Now we have to do our own

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 10:42 pm
My objection to leather skirts is they have a little shine if they are calf leather, and shininess makes anything look larger. Suede leather skirts are very warm, if a bit moderni, depending. But suede has no shine.

I would keep the shine off you; matte flowing knits might be an idea.

Call the concierge ahead and ask about reserving a make-up session with someone they recommend; is there someone onsite? You don't want to find you can't get an appointment when you need it. Perhaps nails too. I wouldn't get tips unless you usually wear them and are used to them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics