Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Clean show in manhattan

amother

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 9:05 pm
I wanted to take my teenage daughter to a see a clean show in manhattan that she would enjoy. Any ideas? Stomp? Newsies? Anything else? Thank you.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 12:46 pm
Blue man group

perquacky

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 1:30 pm
Matilda

doctorima

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 3:24 pm
Mary Poppins, Lion King, Wicked - would she like any of these?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 7:44 pm
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I think that I'm going to go with matilda. My dd is very excited. Next question: I'm taking her to a night performance. I live in passaic and am nervous about taking public transportation back so late. The show will be over at 9:40. Any ideas what the safest way to get back late at night are? I guess the choice is bus or train, and then having to walk to my car to drive home. What do you think makes the most sense safety wise?

Sherri

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 7:46 pm
Someone recently told me she watched Matilda and there subtle parts she found objectionable for children. I have never seen it myself so I don't know what she refers to-- would anyone know?

kenz

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 8:58 pm
Sherri wrote:
Someone recently told me she watched Matilda and there subtle parts she found objectionable for children. I have never seen it myself so I don't know what she refers to-- would anyone know?

The word "hell" is used a few times times and there is one overt reference to relations acted out when Matilda's mother is dancing with her dance partner - younger kids won't get it at all but teens probably will. It's very fleeting but I wasn't happy about my kids hearing/seeing it. There's also a romance where the circus performer is becomes pregnant but it will only bother you if you don't want your kids hearing that a woman got pregnant, there's nothing beyond that. No hows or whys, etc.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 6:39 am
Anyone have an idea or suggestion regarding the safety of public transportation on my way home , to passaic, late at night with dd, after the show? Thanx.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 6:53 am
The buses at that time may be running local instead of express. You'd need to check. I would only take a real bus, not a jitney, mostly because of where you wait for it, but I have friends who would disagree. 9:45 isn't that late (though it would depend how long it took you to get to port authority from the theater- how comfortable are you with the subway?)

Personally, I would drive. There are coupons available online that might make the parking cheaper.

A Passaic amother

amother

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 7:12 pm
When I told my husband that I was planning on driving, he said that didn't make sense. He said that I'll get stuck in tons of traffic getting to the city. He suggested that I take a train from Passaic, and on the way back either a train or a bus. What do you think? Is it safe?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 8:01 pm
Same Passaic amother.

I think it's plenty safe, but it really depends how confident you are with the public transportation. If you know where to be and how to get there, it should be fine. 9:45 is not that late to be on a train.

I checked for you: assuming this is a Sunday, there's a 10:00 190 express, and a 10:30 if you miss it. During the week there's a 10:10 too (recheck the schedule for your dates). So if you're good getting from the theater to port authority and to the 190 gate, you should be fine. Try to park right near a bus stop, or have someone drop you by the train/bus on the way there and have DH waiting for you when you get back.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 8:34 pm
Thank you so much. That was so sweet of you to check up the schedule for me. That was for the bus, right? I can't imagine where I'd find parking close to the bus stop, can you?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 8:38 pm
Depends where you get on. Rides to and from might be best for you if you're nervous.

Have fun at the show!

amother

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 9:23 pm
Thank you. Where would you Recomend I park and get on the bus from?

Tekky

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 4:40 am
newsies
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics