Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Silly putty: Goodbye shirt?

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 12:19 pm
Child ground silly putty (the real thing) into her shirt. I found instructions online advising scraping, WD-40, rubbing alcohol, and dishwashing liquid. Attempted all, in that sequence. The putty seems to be gone but there is still a stain which I even accidentally allowed to go through to the other side of the shirt (note: Always clean stains with a shmatta or something behind them)

Any more good ideas or is it time to throw away the shirt?

She is not allowed to have the silly putty back. I hope I'm not being too harsh on her because I'm sure she didn't mean anything but grrrrr!

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 12:29 pm
It may be too late now...but Carbona Stain Devils - the one for chewing gum and glue - works really well on silly putty. I know from experience. Wink

But in any case - Silly Putty is sort of a no-no in my home (based on said experience. Involved nice linen.) Buy your DD some other prize as a substitute.

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 12:34 pm
It's so great for the sensory needs, though. Alas. I think just better supervision and stricter rules about where it is allowed to go should suffice. For now I have not yet said exactly how long the ban is in force.

ohnuts!

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 1:00 pm
you can try goo gone too. I use that for chewing gum as well. Good luck

Barbara

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 1:23 pm
seeker wrote:
It's so great for the sensory needs, though. Alas. I think just better supervision and stricter rules about where it is allowed to go should suffice. For now I have not yet said exactly how long the ban is in force.

Try a squishy ball instead:

https://www.squishymart.com/

Aetrsnrady

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 10:54 pm
I have heard that freezing the item works well for therapeutic putty. Maybe it would work for silly putty as well

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 11:06 pm
have you tried baking soda ? maybe with some vinegar ... because now I'm assuming it's an oil stain

abs

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 11:52 pm
If it is an oil stain, try Lestoil. It works very well on regular grease stains.

seeker

Post Fri, Jan 16 2015, 12:11 am
Wow, all these tricks up your sleeves! I think I'll give the vinegar and baking soda and goo-gone a try because I own those anyway, and if that doesn't do it I GIVE UP! It wasn't such a special shirt anyway, just now we have one less ordinary nice everyday shirt. Sigh. Natural, effortless wardrobe pruning at its best!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry