Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Faux Pas at work- didnt think what I was saying

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Fri, Jan 16 2015, 9:16 am
I was chit chatting with a co-worker about my recent venture as a girl scout leader, without any girl scout experience and said "it's like the blind leading the blind"

My co-worker is blind.

Can I go bury my head in the sand for a week or 2 now?

eeeek

ROFL

Post Fri, Jan 16 2015, 9:42 am
Yuk I hate it when I do that too! I remember interviewing someone who told me she is sensitive to the disabled population since she just had a grandson with Down syndrome. I replied oh that is so great !
A few years later we were talking and she reminded me - not that I forgot -that it was weird that I was so enthusiastic about her grandson having Down syndrome.
Maybe you should just approach the person you were talking to and say Woops I am so sorry, just realized what I said !

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Fri, Jan 16 2015, 9:53 am
I said right afterwards (I realized what I was saying as it came out of my mouth) "no offense" and she laughed it off- she is a nice person and I don't think she was offended.

Open mouth. Insert Foot.

seeker

Post Fri, Jan 16 2015, 10:10 am
*cringe*
I'm sorry. Please realize these things can happen to anyone. Our language includes some idiotic phrases that slip out too easily. Hugs.

Clarissa

Post Fri, Jan 16 2015, 10:55 am
We’ve all been there. I’d post my most cringeworthy thing that I’ve ever said, but it’s too long a story. I called my SIL after and she said, “Sometimes when you say something you just want to suck it back in.”The good news is that, today, I tell the story and laugh. So just give it time. And know that this person’s heard that a million times and knows it’s a really commonly used expression.

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Jan 16 2015, 11:26 am
I knew someone blind and he used to say he had no problem at all with that kind of thing. He used to say the last thing he wanted was for people to edit their speech around him. He said he knew perfectly well that English is full of blindness metaphors, blind alley, this is how it looks, do you see my point, and stuff like that.

He had no patience with anybody fussing about this kind of thing.

But he was a lion.

Your co-worker may not be made of such stern stuff.

However, it's done, you spoke English, really I wouldn't worry.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 16 2015, 1:14 pm
I think when someone knows your genuine - they let these little mistakes slip by ...

still feels terrible when something of the sort pops out of your mouth before your brain thinks

Hug

DrMom

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 1:51 pm
Yum, yum. Fresh foot.

I too would be mortified. I'm glad she has a good sense of humor and could laugh it off. Hugs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics