Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How do you get toddler to sleep when you have a newborn?

chananecha

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 11:42 pm
Advice needed please from all you experienced mothers.
I cant remember how I did this by my previous kids. But this toddler is impossible!
I dont have a separate room for him, and I live on one floor. If he takes a nap which usually ends up happening then hes just not ready to go to bed and he just runs all around keeping the older kids awake.
If I try putting him to sleep in my room he tries to hit the baby or pull him. Forget bed time routines as there are too many older kids b"h, who are getting ready for bed and doing homework. So the house doesn't get quite early enough.
I'm feeling pretty bad for this kid, because I know he is not getting enough sleep and its really not good
Tia

cinnamon

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 5:14 am
Can you take the baby out of your room until toddler falls asleep?

Lady Bug

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 5:48 am
Maybe time to cut down on the nap, and focusing in a bedtime routine for a few weeks.

chananecha

Post Fri, Jan 16 2015, 12:01 am
Well this is what worked. Firstly, I let him take his nap so he wasnt so off the wall. I also seperated him from the other kids to let them fall asleep. And then around 10 even if its late he calmly layed next to me I let him use my phone to watch jewish videos while I nursed the baby and he fell asleep!
Alls calm and no stress thank G-d. Sometimes we just need to go with the kids. And take que from them whats needed when

Queen6

Post Fri, Jan 16 2015, 1:32 pm
I would skip the nap and put him in early!!!! Close the door and put in a noise maker so no one wakes him - they can go in quietly.
Having him run around till 10 pm and watching videos on your phone is not acceptable.

miami85

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 11:13 pm
How old is this toddler? I know that cutting out the nap can be tough. Does he have playgroup/school to go to? As long as he is getting the total recommended sleep per 24 hours, it might be a workable solution until the baby is old enough to also get into a routine.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 11:17 pm
The thing that worked for me with a one year old and a newborn, was to put the newborn in the stroller, and rock him to sleep with my foot, while putting the toddler to sleep. The toddler got all of my attention, it was a challenge, but that was the best way for me.
Those were trying times.
Best of luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics