Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Spinoff: Sanitary Practices
Previous  1  2

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jan 16 2015, 7:50 am
oliveoil wrote:
That's pretty standard. I don't know anyone who doesn't make their kids wash hands after school! And for good reason.

And all these other places - subways, elevator buttons, ATM buttons, even cell phones are full of germs - are definitely chock full of germs. That's what hand sanitizer is for. Communal bags of potato chips/pretzels/popcorn are also disgusting. You have no way of knowing what's on everyone else's hands.

I don't do that.
I don't carry hand sanitizer.
I don't even think of those germs.
There is a whole world not into all that.

Simple1

Post Fri, Jan 16 2015, 8:28 am
Hygiene aside, I thought it's halacha to wash after using the bathroom. Well not with soap, but at least you're washing.

myself

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 4:08 pm
Simple1 wrote:
Hygiene aside, I thought it's halacha to wash after using the bathroom. Well not with soap, but at least you're washing.

Yup, halacha has seen to it that we all wash. I've had non-Jewish workers in my house and was so grossed out to see them use the bathroom and then continue their work without even washing their hands!

deena19k

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 5:08 pm
Simple1 wrote:

How is rinsing your hands off with cold water any better than not washing at all? No bacteria is being killed with plain cold water.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 5:13 pm
Interestingly, I often get a stomach ache (sometimes pretty painful) when I eat outside of my house (another family or restaurant). I think this is b/c there is different bacteria there. I am used to whatever germs (good and bad) that are in my house.

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 6:19 pm
deena19k wrote:
How is rinsing your hands off with cold water any better than not washing at all? No bacteria is being killed with plain cold water.

Picking up a wash cup picked up by someone else who didn't use soap and then using a communal towel actually promotes the spread of germs and illness. Many wash cups not cleaned often enough either.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 6:41 pm
So... I'd never admit this in real life but here's my story-I spent most of my life engaging in the scrupulous handwashing routine described by many of you but after years of battling terrible excema on my hands (which was very exacerbated by water), I stopped washing my hands after using the bathroom unless there was reason to (something got on my hands or in a public restroom where I had to touch toilet levers etc). I am happy to report that my excema was drastically improved and I remain as healthy otherwise as ever.

deena19k

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 6:57 pm
amother wrote:
So... I'd never admit this in real life but here's my story-I spent most of my life engaging in the scrupulous handwashing routine described by many of you but after years of battling terrible excema on my hands (which was very exacerbated by water), I stopped washing my hands after using the bathroom unless there was reason to (something got on my hands or in a public restroom where I had to touch toilet levers etc). I am happy to report that my excema was drastically improved and I remain as healthy otherwise as ever.

I also have terrible eczema but some things are not a choice. I use moisturizer after washing my hands.

Btw, you may feel healthy, but I shudder to think about what kind of bacteria you're spreading to everyone that that you come into contact with. Gross.

relish

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 7:11 pm
amother wrote:

May I suggest you using a hand sanitizer?

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 7:14 pm
amother wrote:

It is the weak population who need the most protection. You are spreading germs to those that are not strong and healthy. 51% of those that die from diarrhea diseases are elderly. Infants and toddlers also are in more danger than strong adults.

I don't know the answer but perhaps you should toilet with disposable gloves.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 7:41 pm
Am I the only one who never touches levers, faucets, doorknobs, and locks in public bathrooms?
I use a paper towel to do all the above and flush with my foot and never ever sit on the seat.
And I wash my hands after Smile

sneakermom

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 8:08 pm
I wash my hands and all. But honestly I am not afraid of germs. They are natural biodegradable and make our immune systems strong.

My brain doesn't obsess over buttons, knobs, faucets, cell phones, keys, money, cans, supermarket toddler seats, restaurant silverware...Did I forget something?

It's life. Celebrate it. Germs and all.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 11:39 pm
amother wrote:
Am I the only one who never touches levers, faucets, doorknobs, and locks in public bathrooms?
I use a paper towel to do all the above and flush with my foot and never ever sit on the seat.

I do it too

amother

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 11:56 pm
I'm not the OP, but I've had similar thoughts. While I do practice handwashing, I've had similar questions about it's necessity. Yes germs are everywhere, but our bodies are capable of handling a lot more than we give it credit for there are also "good germs" . I consider myself a fairly healthy individual. I get occaisional colds and rarely other viruses--but who doesn't? The ONE time I had strep throat, I didn't know that I had it--b/c I never get it, I didn't know a single soul who had it before me, or after me and I went to work business as usual around little kids b/c I didn't think it was strep.

I have heard that open toilets--such as in public restrooms can spread germs when they are flushed and particles are released into the air, but I've been in these bathrooms COUNTLESS times and never suffered any reprecussions.

Someone I know once did a science experiment studying the bacteria on mezuzas. I've kissed probably thousands of mezuzas, but I don't think I've attributed illness with that.

While I will use hand sanitizer when I feel it's necessary, I don't want to overdo it b/c I don't want to create resistant bacteria.

I've always wondered are "germophobes" THAT much healthier because of their sanitary practices?

amother

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 4:46 am
amother wrote:

Unfortunately, I've nursed a lot in public bathrooms. When I do that, I try to go out of my way not to touch anything germy b/c it might get in my baby's mouth cv"s. When it's just me, I am not as crazy as long as I know that there is soap. (Not always the case)

I have skin problems as well, but I still will wash my hands after going to the bathroom. I just try to minimize all other water exposure ex. gloves for dishes. I will admit that I don't always wash my hands if my baby made a wet diaper and I didn't touch anything.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics