Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Should I add drawers to my custom toy closet?

amother

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 1:57 pm
Besides for shelves, do you find drawers useful? If so, what do you use them for?

chillax

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 2:04 pm
We have cube organizers.
Some bigger toys or games go in/on the shelves as is but we use a lot of the bins.
Things like magnatiles, blocks, balls, train sets, etc go in them. I definitely see value in come kind of drawer.

Smile1234

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 4:18 pm
The thing that comes to mind is that my son likes to pull the drawers out of my night table... and it could be dangerous if the drawers are big and heavy... Something to keep in mind.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 4:30 pm
Drawers can get stuck e.g. a book sticks up and it won't open. I got a small end table w/ drawers that I thought would be good for toys. Not.

I thinks bins are better. You can stack them, switch them around, have different sizes for different types of items etc.

A great idea - put a picture to show what goes in each - blocks, legos, dolls, magnatiles. Save a piece from the box, take a pic w/ your phone, or print a pic from on-line.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 3:37 pm
How about a junk drawer for each child?

Where do you people keep your kids junks? Prizes etc

greenfire

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 3:42 pm
could be interesting ... for which room ? playroom ? I would put built in toy boxes that double as seats ... for a bedroom not so sure ... a laundry room definitely

amother

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 3:46 pm
amother wrote:
How about a junk drawer for each child?

Where do you people keep your kids junks? Prizes etc

That yes. Junk, not toys.

My rule is if the drawer overflows or gets stuck its time for cleanout.

zaq

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 8:24 pm
Well, I don't have the luxury of a toy closet, custom or otherwise, but the ideal is a mix of shelves and drawers. Shelves are for large, flat or boxy items, while drawers are for small, oddly shaped items and items that come in multiples. Books, boxed jigsaw puzzles and board games are naturals for shelves, while balls, dolls, small plush toys and all those shmillions of little piecy things would do better in a drawer. Of course you could buy bins or pans like dishwashing pans in lieu of drawers. Such bins have the advantage of not being a finger-pinching hazard for little tykes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics