Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Basement playroom

amother

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 2:55 pm
We have a multistory house, with no real area for a separate playroom on the main floor. Has anyone made a playroom in the basement? Oldest is still a toddler. Not sure if this is more ideal for older kids or if I should keep the toys in my small living room/ dining area. I just hate having the toys on the main floor. It feels very crowded.

SingALong

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 9:35 pm
Growing up I lived in a multi storehouse, with the playroom in the basement first floor had only foyer,dr/lr kitchen and powder room.
It was fine but we were older kids. There were toddlers builder kids could watch baby while together in playroom. Laundry room was also off playroom so while my mother did laundry she was near the kids playing.
I'd keep most toys in playroom with only a few toys upstairs as needed, ie some books, dolls, a couple of games, 1 box building toy, etc. that way the big messes stay downstairs but you have a few toys for toddler as needed for when your cooking or having a Shabbos meal

finprof

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 9:53 pm
We have a ranch so the basement is the family room/ playroom. Its great because the mess stays out of sight!

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 10:01 pm
Your kids will get older and then they'll be happy to have a basement playroom. In the meantime you can store most of the toys in the basement to reduce clutter.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 10:30 pm
Long term it may be your best (or only) option, but in my experience, my almost 7-year-old will never go down there by himself, and much prefers to have a few toys in his bedroom or on the first floor. Maybe keep the toys there and have a rule that the kids can bring 2-3 upstairs at a time, and have to replace them before bringing anything else upstairs, at least until they get older and more independent.

BrachaBatya

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 12:01 am
We finished our basement when we moved into the house and made it into a huge, awesome playroom. It served us well for many years. It was so great having the toys primarily downstairs and not all over the regular parts of the house. We made it really fun in design and function down there. Now that my kids are a bit older, they hang out there with their friends but most of the toys are gone! It's also become a place where my husband exercises and watches movies, etc. The playroom has grown up and morphed with us.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 7:52 am
While a playroom in the basement may be a good idea, please keep in mind that it doesn't mean that if children are out of sight, they are out of mind. Talking from experience... Just want to make you aware.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 8:10 am
We have a basement playroom and toddlers. Can't leave them alone, but it still helps. They have a space that they can wreck and I don't have to totally put it back together like I would the living room. Even though I need to be down there with them, I can be pretty hands off because it's a very safe space and I don't mind if it gets messy. My laundry room is off to the side, so I can deal with laundry easily while they play. When I need to do cook, I let them bring 2-3 toys up to the living room so it's not so hard to bring everything back down when I'm done.

Shoelover

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 9:12 am
I have a playroom in my bsmt. My son is 2.5 so I can't leave him there alone so either I go down or I let him pick just one or two toys to bring upstairs so it doesn't get really messy. If older kids come play they'll go down w him and it's great Cuz the mess stays there

Chayalle

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 9:26 am
When we finished our basement and made our playroom, I put an intercom system in so that I can communicate with them, at least during the week. It was a worthwhile investment.

DD (6 1/2) usually brings up one toy to the main floor - like right now there's a box of magna tiles in the living room for upstairs play. I rotate that from time to time. She actually likes to go downstairs to play (and wreck the place, too....can't seem to get the cleanup message across and no one is watching....)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics